Shift to snap not working after panning

Hey everyone... I'm having an issue with my shift to snap (either horizontally or vertically). If I begin to draw a polygon with the shift key pressed, I'm able to snap to a straight axis. However, if I pan to continue drawing across the model space, I lose the ability to snap as shift no longer works. 

I've never had this issue before... is this a VW 2017 bug? Any thoughts?

I do not lose the SHFIT after (temporarily) panning by MMB.

But in general, SHIFT does not lock to an Axis. It is more like a guide only.

If you want to lock to X, but need to snap to a point that is more far in Y, it will fail.

It will switch to a Y lock if your cursor direction exceeds the 45° angle.

When I start a line or polygon and hit shift it locks me to a horizontal or vertical axis... (either a red dotted guide or green depending on whether I'm in the horizontal or vertical axis) but once I pan shift no longer works to either lock or even guide in a horizontal or vertical direction. 

I'm also unable to snap to my starting point to try and generate an alignment guide... smart points is turned on. 

Edited by archdaly

Thanks for your responses... I think that I found my answer in the "smart curser settings". fiddled with those and did a restart and it seems to be back to the usual. I hadn't changed any setting which is what was confusing me, but I think that it's sorted itself out. 

Thank you again!

• 1 year later...