where to make a suggestion for a "color by class" or "use class color" button??

Hi there,

where can I find a possibility to make a suggestion for an enormous improvement of Vectorworks??

You know the button for "use layer color" ? I think it should be possible to make the same procedure for classes, that would be soo great!

thanks

5 hours ago, schsch said:

Hi there,

where can I find a possibility to make a suggestion for an enormous improvement of Vectorworks??

You know the button for "use layer color" ? I think it should be possible to make the same procedure for classes, that would be soo great!

thanks

You can already do what you are asking: Assign a Color to the Fill / Pen styles of the Class Properies and also select 'Use at Creation'. On the Attributes Palette make sure that you have 'By Class' selected for both the Fill & Pen Styles.

The Attributes Palette : Vw2017 Help File

Edited by rDesign
  • 5 weeks later...

yeah I know and use this method,

but for the output and print, I use other Colors for the classes. This can be set up in the viewport-class settings, but only for one (!) viewport at a time. Than i use the pipette to assign these settings to all other viewports. But this is very very time intensive :) and when you miss one viewport on a plan, the drawing contains errors like unactivated new classes or wrong colors etc.

I like the the method for displaying the layers by colors. All the people who are working with Sketchup, know what I mean. If you create a new layer in Sketchup (similar to the classes in VW) the application gives a new color to the layer. If you use the button "color by layer", than it shows you the drawing in many colors.

593a73aba9e57_Bildschirmfoto2017-06-09um12_08_22.png.74c5f6d9b88f89be50c72028e1cb69bf.png593a738ca3e4d_Bildschirmfoto2017-06-09um12_02_53.png.276359c58d49d8881b059610c3b99846.png

The idea for this is, that you use different color (so different it could be) when you are drawing things, so you can see if you draw on the wrong class (f.e.  a window is drawing on a wall class).

4 hours ago, schsch said:

The idea for this is, that you use different color (so different it could be) when you are drawing things, so you can see if you draw on the wrong class (f.e.  a window is drawing on a wall class)

SketchUp "Layers" are functionally the same as Vectorworks "Classes": If you have your Vw Class Fill / Pen styles set to 'Use at Creation' it already works like SketchUp, so you already can tell by color when you are drawing in the correct Class in Vw.

On 9.6.2017 at 4:36 PM, rDesign said:

SketchUp "Layers" are functionally the same as Vectorworks "Classes": If you have your Vw Class Fill / Pen styles set to 'Use at Creation' it already works like SketchUp, so you already can tell by color when you are drawing in the correct Class in Vw.

ok thats right, but for example when the project is passed by 80% and you have to add some new classes for some outdoorplans or something other, you have to update all the viewports manually.

Whe we make some work for a competition, we draw all the structure and in the last nights, we add some details and textures etc. At that time we have to change the color of some classes and here we are again, updating all 100 Viewports.

9 minutes ago, schsch said:

you have to update all the viewports manually.

If you're talking about making those new classes visible in all the viewports, the fastest approach is to right click the Class name in the Navigation Palette and choose "Visibilities". This takes you to the Organization dialogue box set to Visibilities mode. You can then quickly turn on the new Class in all of the Viewports by holding down Opt/Alt and clicking on the visible column.

Also note that when creating new Classes you have the option to preemptively make the Class visible in all existing Saved Views and Viewports:

59401d06219ab_ScreenShot2017-06-13at10_11_47AM.png.c944ed1fe993b96800bcb32b06d1aa3f.png

If you're instead talking about having to manually hit the "Update" button on every Viewport, you can use the View<Update All Viewports menu command to update all with one click.

Hope this helps!

Oh thanks thats a great tip!!

But the problem is still there when I want to change the color of the class right?

We have to change the color or hatches of a class for all viewports, now im getting clear of what Im searching for:

It there a way to change the class-attribute for one class in many viewports??

5 minutes ago, schsch said:

Oh thanks thats a great tip!!

But the problem is still there when I want to change the color of the class right?

We have to change the color or hatches of a class for all viewports, now im getting clear of what Im searching for:

It there a way to change the class-attribute for one class in many viewports??

I don't believe it is possible to override Class attributes in multiple SLVPs at once, but you can make the changes in one SLVP and use the Eyedropper tool to manually copy & paste the Class override settings to each of the other viewports.

Edited by rDesign
9 hours ago, rDesign said:

I don't believe it is possible to override Class attributes in multiple SLVPs at once, but you can make the changes in one SLVP and use the Eyedropper tool to manually copy & paste the Class override settings to each of the other viewports.

Still would be nice to have a central place where we could change all viewports of a certain style in one operation.

Also would be nice to have a single control to make say all lines Black but respect class colour.

Edited by Matt Overton
1 hour ago, Matt Overton said:

Also would be nice to have a single control to make say all lines Black but respect class colour.

I don't understand what you are asking: If SLVP Classes are overridden to make all lines Black, how can they also show their Class color? Lines are either Black or colored, but they cannot be both.

I thought the concept was change the pen to black for all (or selected) class overrides, but keep the various override fill colors.

Or, I guess another explanation is to Select all (or some of) the SLVPs in the Nav or Org Palette. Click a new button to show all the classes in all the SLVPs - sort of a master list of all classes available for overrides.  Select all or some classes, Edit to make a global change to attributes. Since the attributes are not all same, the Pen and Fill fields are blank. If Pen is changed, but not the fill, then the pen changes from the various colors/weights/linetypes to a single new setting, but all the various fill colors/hatches/images/etc and their overrides remain unchanged.

This also needs a way to undo, so that the original values and any overrides can be restored en masse.

Or?

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
riffing
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, rDesign said:

I don't understand what you are asking: If SLVP Classes are overridden to make all lines Black, how can they also show their Class color? Lines are either Black or colored, but they cannot be both.

Sorry yes as below Objects have both lines and fill. We override the line colour all the time but keep the fill colour as the class fill colour.

I've seen this in many offices as a common way of working and would be great to make it a single toggle.

Instead of select all edit line colour to black. On every veiwport, then having to come back anytime a new class is created. 

• Like 1
On 14.6.2017 at 9:46 AM, Matt Overton said:

Sorry yes as below Objects have both lines and fill. We override the line colour all the time but keep the fill colour as the class fill colour.

I've seen this in many offices as a common way of working and would be great to make it a single toggle.

Instead of select all edit line colour to black. On every veiwport, then having to come back anytime a new class is created. 

exactly, that would be a great feature. I made just a comparison to Sketchup, because we often want many colors during the drawing process, and the layouts are more or less black and white with different line-thickness. We use different colors for dont make lines on the wrong classes. Often I see that people here are drawing things on the Dimension class or sth like that, because they are not recognizing that the Dimension class is active and they are drawing on that.

Ok I think I explained enough the problem.

I just want the same function for layers as for the classes.