New Structural Member Tool

I'm working on an office building where I will use glulams for column support - but combined with a decorative (yet structural) connection to a concrete base etc (example below).  Should I be using this new Structural Member Tool for the beam/post component in this condition?  I suppose I would then make a symbol just of the post base and connector, but leave the "Structural Members" separate but grouped with the symbol?

Looking for a "best practices" based answer.

Thank you.

64e2c63ea137eed2076dff9db4c3f46a.jpg

Guest Wes Gardner

From your detail, it looks as if the top face and bottom face of the glulam are NOT parallel.  If this is the case, it's likely you'll need to model the glulam and then, as you've suggested, save it as a symbol for repeated installations.

Guest Wes Gardner

Nice! Once you've modeled an element, you may want to explore the Auto-Hybrid feature to get your object to appear correctly in plan view.

Very nice! Can you share with us how you achieved that desaturated, high-contrast rendering style on the interior view? It is quite an evocative, striking style - I really like it. Is that straight from Vw or was there some post-processing in Photoshop? 

1 hour ago, rDesign said:

Very nice! Can you share with us how you achieved that desaturated, high-contrast rendering style on the interior view? It is quite an evocative, striking style - I really like it. Is that straight from Vw or was there some post-processing in Photoshop? 

Yes, I did use Photoshop for much of the effects.  I'm just starting to play around with VW rendering and I hope to get closer to what I need as I learn.  However, it only took 20-30min or so to do the work in Photoshop.   I've found once you have the effect you want down repeating the steps goes fairly quick.

Edited by jcaia
  • Like 1