How does everyone do paving patterns?

I needed to design a random paver pattern as such:

Row A: Random layout of 18"x18" & 30"x18" pavers

Row B: Random layout of 18"x24" & 30"x24" pavers

Row A & B distributed randomly.

First I made a tiles of each row.  But I abandoned this when I found out 1) The dwg I had to export to the civil wasn't showing tiles and 2) using the tiles wouldn't allow me to have the worksheet calculate the amount pavers.

So I resorted to making a symbol for each paver and placing every paver individually.  This has it's own problems.  The worksheet calculates the amount of each paver size I need.  However when I use the area command to calculate the area of all the symbols it gives me a number that's almost twice as large as the actual area.  Anyone know how to solve this?

Anyone have a better way to do paving patterns?  Thanks!

Alan is right this is a job for marionette! We too often try to show things, down to the paver, when in reality things hardly ever work out the way you want. Aside from that you indicate you want to design a random pattern. I professor of mine congratulated me one time when I said these very same words. He said that random pattern is an oxymoron.

When confronted with this in preparing construction documents I would show a hatch that has nothing to do with the overall design and then either create a written description, as you have, or show a small vignette of the desired effect.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, rowbear97 said:

Alan is right this is a job for marionette! We too often try to show things, down to the paver, when in reality things hardly ever work out the way you want. Aside from that you indicate you want to design a random pattern. I professor of mine congratulated me one time when I said these very same words. He said that random pattern is an oxymoron.

When confronted with this in preparing construction documents I would show a hatch that has nothing to do with the overall design and then either create a written description, as you have, or show a small vignette of the desired effect.

Well said Robert @rowbear97, well said.

I would also add a request for a feature to explode tiles similar to the post about exploding tiles. If we could use tiles to map a particular pattern over an area and then either explode it or do a quantity calc based on the number of repititions, we could get close.

On 5/11/2017 at 3:28 PM, rowbear97 said:

If nothing else, thanjust to play deveils advocate--

You are absolutely right on both counts ('random pattern' is an oxymoron of sorts, though 'random-appearance pattern' may not) and as far as documentation, your idea of a hatch with text description or vignette/detail is perfectly appropriate we also have to consider the context of the discussion here--we are talking about BIM (or SIM) if we are talking vectorworks (otherwise ill happily creat what you mentioned in 2d cad in half the time and effort).

Ideally, I would want to see the pattern I create, random or otherwise, in detail down to the paver and in 3 dimensions. I also want to document it. So, using a hatch and detail sort of defeat the purpose of while we're all here on this board...good response though nonetheless..

• Like 1

As for the BIM side of things using the hardscape tool will give you the cross section, albeit just of one material, unless of course you place multiple hardscapes one on top the other then you could get your desired effect. You have a great idea! What if we could make create pavement sections like wall styles and they work as a surface?

As for the tiles there isn't really any other way then the basic setup as provided that I'm aware of.

• Like 2

I'm curiously following this thread - but a question for the OP:  What sort of overall area (size) are you having to design these pavers in?

Also, keep in mind whatever you design needs to be communicated in some fashion to the people installing this to follow what was done - which is going to be the real trick in all this.

Edited by jcaia
  • 3 years later...