Viewport association with sheet

a) Viewports can exist either on a Design Layer or a Sheet Layer

b) Normally it is better to annotate in the Annotation Space of a Viewport on a Sheet Layer.

(Keeping the 3D BIM Model clean by separating from Documentation)

But you can, especially for floor plans, do some annotations like Associative Dimensions

directly on your Design Layers.

Or if you are 2D only, you may draw everything on Design Layers and even print from there.

But that is the legacy way.

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 2

Not to steal the thread here as it is on this topic.  Finally grasping the concepts of viewports on sheet layers, I still struggle to understand the workflow of using a design layer viewport?  I understand that one can be created, but for what reason? Can you then make a sheet layer viewport from the design layer viewport? I guess my confusion comes from the legacy way, that at one point design layer viewports were not possible in 14/15.  Hoping someone could shed some light on this, only for the reason that I would like to know if we can utilize it in an improved workflow. 

Edited by HEengineering

15 minutes ago, HEengineering said:

Hoping someone could shed some light on this, only for the reason that I would like to know if we can utilize it in an approved workflow. 

I put VPs on a DL so I can get multiple views and immediate feedback. It speeds up my workflow. 

I am not sure if this is the preferred method as I am not an architect so maybe its used differently for documentation etc. But certainly my adopted method saves a lot of orbiting and checking.

In the attached you will see a single object and two VPs on the DL I can view my object from multiple angles in OpenGL and if I change the object then I just re-render and I can see all angles.

Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 19.36.10.png

Excuse my typo it should have been "improved".  While I can see the use here, can you then use that DLVP elsewhere? id love to see how others are using DLVP.

We are one of the many here that still work alot in 2D with saved views.  However, we do often have to detail out something with a few views, that may change several times.  Seems like maybe a DLVP could be useful in this sense?

I assume this requires the unified view to be turned on? As trying to create a DLVP the same place as the object results in an error.

Edited by HEengineering

Design layer viewports can also be used kind of like "Super Symbols" to bring information that is located on different layers and allow it to be shown in different locations and orientations.

Referenced Design Layer viewports also have the ability to "encapsulate" the layers and classes of the external file.  So you can bring a file in as a Referenced DL Viewport and not have the extra 100's of layers and classes show up in your Navigation Pallete.

You can use DLVPs to reference some Resource Files (2D or 3D) as a guide

or to reference external parts into your file.

You could also add a DLVP to underlay a Section and do Annotations on DL and finally make a SLVP from all that.

Or to lay a Section beside your model as a guide for setting object heights when working in Plan View.

Possibilities are endless.

But for the thread starters question,

the current concept is to work on a BIM Model in 3D with intelligent Plugin Tools and let generate plan output

by VPs that you place on Sheet Layers. Where you will do some smaller corrections of what was generated

and add missing annotations, in the Annotation Space of the SLVP.

• 2 weeks later...

Still looking to determine how many DLVP you can have on a design layer while getting difference views? My hope was maybe we could use DLVP with a saved view workflow.

Thinking about where we may detail a complicated set of components from several views, and use DLVP to only have to update the model? Could a component be modeled in a DL or even referenced in from a seperate file and then use a few DLVP on a saved view ? I know that most will suggest sheet layers.  For the sake of heading of that response, its just not a workflow we use here, so Im looking to see what what other options exist.

I think the key thing I was failing to recognize is that each design layer viewport must be on its own design layer in order to get 2 viewports on the same saved view to show different orientations of the same modeled object.  I still have some remaining questions on where notations for something like this might go.  I guess you could do it right in the modeled space, or on the design layer in which you are displaying the viewport?