Importing Custom Photometrics .ies File

Steven Morgan

Question

I am trying to create a custom house light fixture, it's an Altman Downlight Chalice. I have imported the .dwg of it, converted it into a lighting lighting symbol. Now I want to use the Photometrics file that Altman provides which is an .ies file. I have looked all over and cannot find a way to import and assign that to a custom fixture. 

Anybody have any ideas? Or am I looking at this totally wrong?

3 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Should be the following:

1) Add a Light object to your document.

2) Set that Light object to type: "Custom"

3) Vectorworks should automatically ask for a file at this point, its expecting you to pick the .IES file in question. If it does not ask you (sometimes this wont happen if you already edited this light a few times) then you can click "Load Distribution" and then select the IES file.

4) You MUST render in a rendering mode that has shadows, textures, and I believe Indirect Lighting enabled. IES profile Custom Lights will NOT appear properly (or at all) in OpenGL.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
Just now, Rob Books said:

Spotlight lighting instruments do not use .IES files, so you will have to do it as Jim discusses above, Spotlight Fixtures are a creature unto themselves and the Light Info Record works similarly to the .IES file.

Rob.

WOOPS misread the initial post completely and was thinking lighting fixture/recessed fixture. Thanks @Rob Books!