stevenmorgan94

Importing Custom Photometrics .ies File

Question

I am trying to create a custom house light fixture, it's an Altman Downlight Chalice. I have imported the .dwg of it, converted it into a lighting lighting symbol. Now I want to use the Photometrics file that Altman provides which is an .ies file. I have looked all over and cannot find a way to import and assign that to a custom fixture. 

Anybody have any ideas? Or am I looking at this totally wrong?

5 answers to this question

Should be the following:

1) Add a Light object to your document.

2) Set that Light object to type: "Custom"

3) Vectorworks should automatically ask for a file at this point, its expecting you to pick the .IES file in question. If it does not ask you (sometimes this wont happen if you already edited this light a few times) then you can click "Load Distribution" and then select the IES file.

4) You MUST render in a rendering mode that has shadows, textures, and I believe Indirect Lighting enabled. IES profile Custom Lights will NOT appear properly (or at all) in OpenGL.

Spotlight lighting instruments do not use .IES files, so you will have to do it as Jim discusses above, Spotlight Fixtures are a creature unto themselves and the Light Info Record works similarly to the .IES file.

Rob.

• Like 1

Just now, Rob Books said:

Spotlight lighting instruments do not use .IES files, so you will have to do it as Jim discusses above, Spotlight Fixtures are a creature unto themselves and the Light Info Record works similarly to the .IES file.

Rob.

WOOPS misread the initial post completely and was thinking lighting fixture/recessed fixture. Thanks @Rob Books!

Awesome, thanks guys. My only problem now is that when I input a photometric grid everything is reading 0. Any advice on getting that working?

if you set up your symbol as a general light object, like Jim suggested, then I don't believe that the Photometric grid will work, I believe that it only works on Spotlight lighting objects.  But don't quote me on that.  if you import a Spotlight lighting object and turn it on see what happens.

Rob.