Alternative Uses for Tools

Lets have some helpful, useful fun here.  Submit a Tool and its use in situations where it wasn't originally designed for.  For example I use the Roof Face Tool to create my residential garage slabs so that I can easily provide a slope and still have the forward and rear edges vertical (using the "vertical miter" option).  Like a slab I can have components such as poured concrete, a vapour barrier and a gravel base.

Lets see what you've got.  I'm sure we have all had situation where you wondered "how can I do that?" as there is no tool specifically named or designed for your situation.

As an alternative to Vectorworks I use "Insert other CAD programs here" - j/k

I use the framing member for a lot of things; glass balustrades, gutters, flashings
I use the roof face tool to create ridge and valleys flashings for the elevations.
I just used the Feature control frame tool to create a wall key - this tool can have up to 5 boxes that you can control through the OIP.

On 02/05/2017 at 1:04 AM, Markvl said:

Lets have some helpful, useful fun here.  Submit a Tool and its use in situations where it wasn't originally designed for.  For example I use the Roof Face Tool to create my residential garage slabs so that I can easily provide a slope and still have the forward and rear edges vertical (using the "vertical miter" option).  Like a slab I can have components such as poured concrete, a vapour barrier and a gravel base.

Lets see what you've got.  I'm sure we have all had situation where you wondered "how can I do that?" as there is no tool specifically named or designed for your situation.

I'd say maybe 10% of the roof faces in my models are slopy slabs. Sometimes more like 50%. It would almost be fair say I use more roofs as slabs than slabs as slabs.

I use multiple 2D Elements in a single Extrude all the time.

Like a bunch of Rectangles for my Columns.

Once extruded I can adapt their height at one time.

And for Profile Changes I can go in and keep my 2D edit ability

of multiple objects at one time.

Plus the option to choose the origin for size changes.

All of which isn't possible with VW 3D Tools or Solids.

Also I misuse Solid Additions to just gGroup Objects and force them

to export as one single Mesh Item into other 3D Mesh Apps.

Edited by zoomer
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I make extensive use of the Extract tool, specifically in Extract Surface mode. This tool allows me to grab one or more individual faces of an object, give it a slight nudge to offset it from the face of the original, and then apply whatever texture I like to the extracted face to cover the up the untextured (or undesirably textured) original. This technique is a frequently used workaround for the current limitations to the texturing abilities within Vectorworks.

1 hour ago, JimW said:

his technique is a frequently used workaround for the current limitations to the texturing abilities within Vectorworks.

So when you say 'current' this means 'only for now' but could change?

(have to hold on to any straw I can see blowing around)

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Another item I was reminded of in another thread:

Saved Views, in another use that wasn't REALLY their intended purpose but one that works very well, can also be used to configure a file as a sort of slideshow/powerpoint even in 3D. @Luis M Ruiz makes great use of this in many of his tutorials. Below you can see this in action around the 13:08 mark:

http://www.vectorworks.net/inspiration/industry-webinars/the-art-and-function-of-3d-modeling