Floor level cut plane / isolating structure

TArchit

The structural engineer we are working with uses Revit and they model elements such as shear walls as single objects across multiple floors.

Ideally we will reference their IFC model into our files so that we don't have to model any structure. 

Revit has a level system that slices the model with a variable cut plane at each floor level to isolate that part of the structure. 

Is it possible to achieve this in Vectorworks? What is the best way to control the visibility of their model files across different floors? 

I don't think so unless you can cut the IFC file up to suit your layer structure.

If you were happy with all your plans to be section viewports (cut a section VP through an existing section or elevation) you could make something work but not sure how desirable it would be.

I think we need a shift in how things are done. It would be good to say have a viewport of level 2, but be able to get it to look down to level one but be able to set the depth, or make it so the viewport was looking up and the ceiling structure - and then intelligent objects that would display as a dashed line on indicating a beam above, or as a solid fill for the plan looking up.

If I recall correctly I think@JimWwas making remarks about how something big/different is coming, maybe it has something to do with this? One can wish.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Having thought more about this it seems fundamental to working with other consultants effectively, especially on larger projects. 

I haven't worked with a single structural engineer in the UK who uses BIM and doesn't use Revit.

How do people usually reference structural consultant models in their plans?

Surely we shouldn't have to redraw their structure if over multiple floors?

• Like 1