Camera Match Vanishing/Control lines

HEengineering

Question

Im finding these very hard to use.  I have run thru a very simple "Chimney addition" several times. Nothing more than an box representing an extension to the existing chimney.

I always have a problem with the vanishing lines flipping around  even after Ive set them a few times.  It seems to me that if you don't have a really good picture from a 45˚ perspective it makes it almost impossible to line up the control lines? I get everything lined up, and then the R2 vanishing point screws it all up. Then trying to undo usually results in a crash.  Can someone point out what we are doing wrong here? Even if I move the R@ ever so slightly it flips the whole think upside down.

As you can see the orientation of the object isn't even close. 

Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 2.59.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 2.58.45 PM.png

Screen_Shot_2017-04-26_at_3_02.56_PM.png

8 answers to this question

Matt has some Tutorials Videos and explains which way of taking Photos isn't working well for Camera Matching :

Matching Difficult Views

Generally you should avoid any vanishing lines being near parallel.

Something happens for vertical vanishing lines when you either use

a shift lens to make them exactly so, or keep your camera level,

which does the same.

Unfortunately that is what architectural photography wants :)

Well I had it crash several additional times even starting from a fresh file.  Seems almost anytime the 2 verticals are aligned I get an error "these can't be aligned" and it crashes.

So still chipping away here and I get this error today??  I can't imaging what trying to render a large model would produce?  Im only rendering a simple box on an image.  We had high hopes of using this for our workflow. 

One additional question I have is I recall a menu within the OIP that allowed you to move  the X/Y/Z access by degrees.  Anyone know where this is? it seems to be evading me just when I need it.  Ive clicked into  It several times, and now can't seem to find it??

Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 9.15.58 AM.png

Edited by HEengineering

Matt unfortunately I trashed that file.  I will PM you the most recent one I was working on.  Feel free to take a look and let me know if its user error :/ .  It seems in sense the more I messed with it or tried to change out the modeled or fine tune the view, the more problematic the file became.  I can say for certain that I got the "vertical lines parallel" prompt quite a few times, and then would crash after, at least 4 times.  Hasn't happened yet in this fresh file.

Also please note the chimney was meant to take place of a more complex antenna sled.  This file has the sled in it.  You will need to zoom in to see it.

Matt-

Thank you for taking the time to explain.  After reading the help file, and watching the video, I overlooked the fact that lines should not be placed close, and some of the lines I was using were not the best vanishing points.  Much appreciated.

Also unrelated, I noticed your point nodes appear rather large and easy to see.  Are these now adjustable in size?

Edited by HEengineering
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You're welcome! Glad to help.

The "point nodes" (AKA control points, grips, handles, etc) are not adjustable. However, the label size on the Camera Match control lines can be adjusted by changing the Font Size of the Camera Match object (in the Text Menu). I think the control point size depends on the monitor resolution?