Export Sheet Layer Viewport as Image

Kevin McAllister

Question

10 answers to this question

A thousand times yes to the original request! I want to easily export an image file that perfectly matches the pixels I've already rendered on the sheet layer.

The problem with the "Export Image File" command is that there is way too much room for error. You have to draw a marquee, snapping to the exact corners of the viewport, then you have to type in the exact dimensions of the viewport in the image size (which hopefully you remembered to take note of beforehand) otherwise it'll resample, then you have to type in the DPI (hopefully you happen to know what you're sheet layer DPI is set up to since you'll want this to match), then you have choose a filetype (which it never remembers what you chose last time), and finally choose the compression level if applicable.

There was a point in time when the Export Image File command would at least auto-fill the correct dimensions based on the marquee that you drew, but this has been long broken.

Creating and exporting renderings accurately is WAY too convoluted and complex. Sadly, I therefore see many people just taking screengrabs of their screen, which makes me sad at the lost resolution.

For such a basic and integral tool, this should be a simple and intuitive process.

Edited by Andy Broomell
  • Like 2

I appreciate the suggestion but I agree with Andy on this. I don't want to use the existing dialog. I want a preference setting somewhere that allows me to choose the default image file type for export (TIF, JPG or PNG) and I want a simple right click export. The viewport already has a dimensional size and a DPI resolution, why would I want to set it again.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin McAllister
  • Like 3

Same from my side.

I think the only way to get a real render pixel amount Viewport image is by CMD+C and pasting in an appropriate App.

With all the tedious work after.

From all the other software beside VW that I ever used there was never missing a simple save image dialog.

That needs to be for any Viewport or Drawing Window.

The ability to show a Cameras aspect ratio maximized (!) in a drawing window for Screenshots to save exactly the

View of the Camera in screen resolution, without any need of a Marquee. Or even the ability to re-render and save

the image at a higher resolution.

Same fore Saved Views.

Viewports already rendered, saving out their full resolution.

All by an image file format of choice, to a customizable path, which will be saved like needed for any output paths.

And Viewport's save image also belongs as an option for the Publish Tool for batch rendering.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, zoomer said:

I think the only way to get a real render pixel amount Viewport image is by CMD+C and pasting in an appropriate App.

I remembered someone posting that as an option and tried it before posting this wish. It sort of works. Photoshop doesn't seem to recognize the size of the image on the clipboard properly so its not as easy as creating a new image from the clipboard.

2 hours ago, zoomer said:

And Viewport's save image also belongs as an option for the Publish Tool for batch rendering.

Now that's an interesting idea - sheet layer viewports appearing in the publish dialog.......

Kevin

Hi

Can't believe I haven't noticed this before - but the publish command does let you set Image as a file type for export.

My machine is currently rendering away (must check out the cloud services render thing!) - but I have a camera viewport on a sheet layer - I chose that sheet layer in the batch publish command, then image as file type and hey presto - I get a JPG of just the viewport.

Have I missed this before or has it quietly been added as a feature?  Or is there something I am missing?  It seems to just render out the viewport (not the whole sheet - but I may be wrong) and the resolution is high (sheet layer set to 300 dpi - image has come out at 4475 x 3222)

• Like 1

Think I spoke to soon - was hoping that choosing image file as export would just export the image - but it seems to add a white border too depending on what image size you set.

Surely it would make perfect sense to just allow the publish command to export a viewport as an image?

Please let us know if this is coming in 2018?

It is a workaround but I always duplicate the rendered viewport, then ungroup and the resulting item is a bitmap (PNG image) Copy the bitmap, open preview and command N opens the clipboard picture with the right pixel dimensions. Then you have the option to save as PNG or jpg and some other formats. 

• Like 1
On 4/27/2017 at 2:19 AM, Kevin McAllister said:

Now that's an interesting idea - sheet layer viewports appearing in the publish dialog

@Kevin McAllisterAs I understand it, if you're using Cloud Services to publish, in the left pane in the Publish window you can choose individual Viewports and in the output 'Options' choose what format they get saved as, (individual) PDF or image. 

Edited by Jeremy Best
Grammatical correction for clarification