Table Ready Vectorworks

Very interesting. I like them. I need one.

For that resolution it could be smaller or better 8K.

These are built in Microsoft Surface Hubs ?

Currently VW isn't optimized for Touch/Pen input at all.

It is in some point even more counteracting against it than my other 3D Apps.

But I can do my work Pen/Touch Tablet only.

I am trying to be forward thinking - but it is hard for me to imagine beating a mouse and keyboard for input.  

There have been stories that the 'Minority Report' style interfaces are really exhausting to use for extended periods of time.  And direct input of dimensions is key for fast and accurate drafting/modeling - and I am not sure how well that translates to full screen drafting desk model - (let alone emails).   The surface studio might be on the right track for architects - being able to easily switch between the 2 modes rather than moving to all pen.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 hour ago, Tom Klaber said:

Does VW have to do anything specific to be ready for Pen + Dial input?

Pen currently would just function similarly to a mouse in Vectorworks at the moment, Freehand tool would let you directly draw but the rest of the tools would still be click-drag or click-click based interactions. For the dial, we would have to explicitly add commands for Vectorworks through whatever API Microsoft releases for the dial hardware. They have a Microsoft Surface with pen and dial in R&D right now, but it's in the very early stages of research here.

Yeah - I wonder if that it has to be paired with a totally new interface to be actually feasible.

One with pop-up numerical pads that allow for direct inputs.  

I just find it hard to imagine one that is ever going to be faster and more accurate for day to day modeling than a mouse and keyboard.  

I think Mouse/keyboard will ever be the fastest input.

Pen inputs are less precise and you hide parts of your drawing with your hand or arm :)

But for me it isn't tedious at all.

But the maximum draw screen size is what you can reach with your arms. So I would

assume something like my 27" Cintiq together with its broad boarders, about 45x75 cm.

(In the past we draw by hand on Din A0 paper)

3 hours ago, JimW said:

They have a Microsoft Surface with pen and dial in R&D right now, but it's in the very early stages of research here.

What will you do with it after everyone tried it and you get bored by it ?

I could care about it before you throw it away ....

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
3 hours ago, zoomer said:

What will you do with it after everyone tried it and you get bored by it ?

I could care about it before you throw it away ....

Nearly always hardware from testing (tthe items that dont need to be shipped back to the manufacturer in the event of loaner hardware) is deployed and used internally after testing is complete. Sometimes that means I get new toys :x