New visibility settings

Jim Smith

Question

Presently we have Visible, Invisible, & Grey as Class & Layer visibility settings. I've asked for this in the past & I don't know if it's possible, but I'd like the choice of  Dashed line Visibility as this would be very helpful to locate Items Above or Below the cutting plane. For example cupboards, roof overhangs, beams, posts, footings et cetera. Presently to indicate such things one must either note a dotted line in Annotation or make a Hybrid object.  

5 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I totally understand, I also like to draw things one time and expect them to be graphically correct in all my plans, here is my work flow;
Rules:
1.) For all objects make all attributes “By Class” 
2.) There is no rule that says Stack Viewports Not Allowed.

Viewport possibilities: for Layers; On/Off/Grayed, alter staking order, for Classes; On/Off/Grayed, Override Class attributes (this will only be possible if you comply with rule #1.)
Some times there are several objects with the same class in different layers and there is a graphical need for some of them that are in a different layer to be represented differently, Divide and Conquer, you can stack viewports (rule #2), yes there will be some initial setup, however it will payoff when you modify things.

Sample bellow: a simple roof that traverses two floors, all objects have only been drawn once.

1st floor has a stack VP for the 2nd Slab with a class override

2nd floor has stack Vp's for the roofs with class overrides 

Roof has Layer stacking order and class overrides

HTH

JC

2Dto3D (original).jpg

Edited by JuanCarlos
  • Like 1