Wall component "library"

JMR

Question

Maybe there is a way to do this, but if not:

What if there was a library of wall components?

Or at least an option to "import" wall components from another wall style.

As far as I know, currently wall components have to be re-defined for each wall style. Of course one can use an existing wall as a "base" but often there is a need to combine several components from different wall styles.

• Like 2

6 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Currently the best way to approach the issue is to have a wall style with all the components you normally use or are common to your area saved to your office standard folder (All Components WS), then any time you need a new wall style you can duplicate the All Components wall style and delete the unused components since it is easier to delete a component than to create a component.

Hope this helps!

JC

• Like 2
2 hours ago, JuanCarlos said:

Currently the best way to approach the issue is to have a wall style with all the components you normally use or are common to your area saved to your office standard folder (All Components WS), then any time you need a new wall style you can duplicate the All Components wall style and delete the unused components since it is easier to delete a component than to create a component.

Hope this helps!

JC

I was stuck on the thought that the number of wall components is limited, as is or was the case with many other CAD programs.

This way one can set up "seed wall sets" for typical types of construction. This actually does help, thank you.

16 hours ago, JMR said:

That gets us almost there.

One still needs to input names, thicknesses etc. though.

I'm trying to avoid additional classes since there are already 270 in my template file...   :D

The materials resource discussion noted below did get to a pretty good place in terms of features like you are suggesting. Although I think you've hit on two important ones not covered. 

-Thickness

Most of the materials we use come standard sizes. Plasterboard, Plywood, steelmetal, framing members (steel or timber) have fixed off the shelf sizes.

Materials that aren't fixed like concrete still have sizes that very common. 

Having this embedded in the "material" so we can create wall, roof, slabs more easly would be a big bonus. 

Auto-naming would be useful too to add into the discussion.

14 hours ago, rDesign said:

[Slightly OT - There is a long-range development thread asking for input on Materials , which would be another way of thinking about this wish-list item .]