Design Layer Backgrounds

Can anyone tell me what the point of having specific design layer backgrounds is? If I am viewing the model in OpenGL with Layer1 as active (design layer background of say HDRI White) and I activate Layer2 (design layer background set to HDRI Green) the background doesn't change. When I go to the edit layers dialogue the backgrounds are now both HDRI White. I have never seen the point of this function or indeed been able to get it to work as I would expect it to.

It would be great to have this conundrum unravelled!

Thanks

1 hour ago, markdd said:

I can't unravel it but I can make it more confusing. Clearly the last used background will be set for every DL but if you now throw in View > Set Lighting Options and change the Environment Light it does not override the DL and in fact has no effect as the DL 'trumps' the light setting option which I would not have thought was the case.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
18 hours ago, markdd said:

Can anyone tell me what the point of having specific design layer backgrounds is?

This depends, which background type are you referring to? Image and Panoramic Image work very differently and have different uses, and the Physical Sky options work in conjunction with certain tools and render modes.

I almost always control my backgrounds via Renderworks Styles, but that's just because most of my recent work is all Renderworks. OpenGL uses the various background types differently and since it can't have a Style (which I think it should be allowed to have actually), needs it background to come from the design layer.

19 hours ago, markdd said:

Can anyone tell me what the point of having specific design layer backgrounds is? If I am viewing the model in OpenGL with Layer1 as active (design layer background of say HDRI White) and I activate Layer2 (design layer background set to HDRI Green) the background doesn't change. When I go to the edit layers dialogue the backgrounds are now both HDRI White. I have never seen the point of this function or indeed been able to get it to work as I would expect it to.

Thanks

I think they only become the same if you have Unified View active. If Unified View is turned off then each layer will keep its separate background. (At least this was true in my testing.)

Kevin