line-weight

My wish: VW2021 to have no new features. Please.

Question

8 hours ago, digitalcarbon said:

The reason the 1950s roads started to choke was the influx of cars after WW2...they could not handle the increased speed and traffic...

So the solution was not to upgrade the existing roads but to build Interstates.

Actually, that was a terrible solution - it just generates more traffic and then you have choked interstates, air pollution and a nationwide town planning catastrophe.

The solution is to reduce the number of cars by encouraging people to use more efficient and less damaging forms of transport.

To force this into a Vectorworks analogy - don't keep fixing the clogged up dysfunctional parts of the system by building new parallel bits and bypasses and filling them up with new, badly maintained cars trying to get to to chaotic out-of-town shopping complexes miles away. Sort the problem by fixing all the potholes and building us some well organised shops stocked with the best version of each of the things we need, within walking distance so we can get there without trauma and wasted time.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, line-weight said:

Actually, that was a terrible solution - it just generates more traffic and then you have choked interstates, air pollution and a nationwide town planning catastrophe.

The solution is to reduce the number of cars by encouraging people to use more efficient and less damaging forms of transport.

To force this into a Vectorworks analogy - don't keep fixing the clogged up dysfunctional parts of the system by building new parallel bits and bypasses and filling them up with new, badly maintained cars trying to get to to chaotic out-of-town shopping complexes miles away. Sort the problem by fixing all the potholes and building us some well organised shops stocked with the best version of each of the things we need, within walking distance so we can get there without trauma and wasted time.

They could actually get long way towards this by creating a best practice workspace for each version.

Best practice would have one monster leap to start with but after that pain would be no worse than normal update.

For Instance no more move and move 3d commands just Move that has x,y,z altogether.

All the most modern tools could be surfaced, given the best short cuts so soon enough we are working better faster. Free up key commands.  Yes we can do this but then everyone new doesn't want to use our standard because it's not the program standard. New users are being in effect trained to use the software badly and get stuck in old ruts.

Would be a massive win in terms of the programs outlook.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Matt Overton said:

They could actually get long way towards this by creating a best practice workspace for each version.

Best practice would have one monster leap to start with but after that pain would be no worse than normal update.

For Instance no more move and move 3d commands just Move that has x,y,z altogether.

All the most modern tools could be surfaced, given the best short cuts so soon enough we are working better faster. Free up key commands.  Yes we can do this but then everyone new doesn't want to use our standard because it's not the program standard. New users are being in effect trained to use the software badly and get stuck in old ruts.

Would be a massive win in terms of the programs outlook.

Yes, that would be a start.

The move / move 3d is quite a good example.

And what's with having an "edit" and a "modify" menu with no obvious logic as to what goes in each?

Edited by line-weight
  • Like 3

Interstates

Integrated Circuits 

Thin Thread

Why did those 3 developments come into existence?

9 hours ago, Matt Overton said:

I agree. How many tools are then in total within Vectorworks? How many could be streamlined into 1 - instead of "Angle", "Angle (Inch)", "Angle (Metric)"  and "Angle - 3D", why not have a single Angle tool that can deal with the various ways in which people use the tool. That's 3 unnecessary tools removed from VW.  The same for Wide Flange structural elements; 4 tools that should be 1.

It's the same for channels, springs, lock washers, plain washers, retaining washers screws, nuts, wood screws etc etc etc. None of which I actually use but i'm sure people do. I'm sure the VW toolset could be cut in half. 

• Like 2

Better designed (and more consistent) dialogs would make existing features more accessible. I spend endless hours clicking deep into nested dialogs to tweak a setting, then work my way back out to see the effect. I know where most settings are, but it feels like Vectorworks consistently goes out of its way to slow users down. It's a nightmare for new users to find what they need. The current interface is designed for the convenience of the engineers who built it, not for the end user.

• Like 3