Jump to content
  • 68
line-weight

My wish: VW2020 to have no new features. Please.

Question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

And also a better and more public bug triage system. I have two outstanding bugs with section generation which date back to September last year. Tech support can't fix them and have told me they have been reported as bugs, but I have no idea when or even if these will ever be fixed.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Quite a few people have expressed they would like to see the existing tools fixed/improved before adding new shiny features. Unfortunately some bugs are harder to fix than others so I wouldn't expect Vectorworks to fix all existing features within a year, and development for VW2019 is probably almost halfway by now, assuming release will be in September and the last two months are spent on final testing and fixing loose ends etc. (or dropping features that are not yet ready for release)

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
3 hours ago, Will said:

For Vectorworks 2019 the best thing that could possibly be done is to make all the existing features work properly. This would relieve a great source of stress to me and many others. There are currently outstanding bugs that cause section generation to fail, constraints don't always perform correctly, some worksheet functions don't do anything and this is just what I've personally uncovered in the last month or two. Please concentrate on quality for the release of 2019.

 

Agree 100%!

 

Here's a similar wish I made last year...

 

(strangely I don't remember giving that a title saying VW2019 rather than 2018...anyway, it still applies)

 

Maybe it is worth asking for these threads to be merged, so that up-votes aren't spread too thinly, and so that VW understands that there are a lot of users who feel this way.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
47 minutes ago, line-weight said:

(strangely I don't remember giving that a title saying VW2019 rather than 2018...anyway, it still applies)

 


I edited the title so that new threads wouldn't have to keep being made for another version and folks wouldn't have to re-vote each time. this way the votes keep accumulating and become much more noticeable.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

When I watched the last keynote video from Biplar,

he said something about a "less feature" release that I could not understand.

Was it meant that VW 2018 was a "less feature" release and VW 2019 will

get more new features or that VW 2019 will be a release with less new features

than VW 2018 ?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
Just now, zoomer said:

he said something about a "less feature" release that I could not understand.

Was it meant that VW 2018 was a "less feature" release and VW 2019 will

get more new features or that VW 2019 will be a release with less new features

than VW 2018 ?


This is something I am not currently able to discuss. When I can discuss it, I will be doing a very happy dance at the same time.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
5 minutes ago, JimW said:


This is something I am not currently able to discuss. When I can discuss it, I will be doing a very happy dance at the same time.

Which means you have about 7 or 8 months to practice for a spectacular award winning "very happy dance" performance :P

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Well, that wasn't something that slipped his lips in a bar in my presence.

It was on Facebook. It was just lost in translation and acoustics for me.

 

A statement if VW 2018 was seen as a special new feature rich release

or not would be enlightening.

As there were labor intensive, for most people non alluring, features like

UFT compliance included, I could assume the latter. But I am not sure as

my definition of what a feature is may be completely off.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
47 minutes ago, JimW said:


I edited the title so that new threads wouldn't have to keep being made for another version and folks wouldn't have to re-vote each time. this way the votes keep accumulating and become much more noticeable.

Great.

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
48 minutes ago, JimW said:


I edited the title so that new threads wouldn't have to keep being made for another version and folks wouldn't have to re-vote each time. this way the votes keep accumulating and become much more noticeable.

Thanks, just upvoted the topic.

Would it be possible to do the same for some other multiple requests of the same issue/bug/whatever for which there are quite a few people asking/commenting? Or perhaps have the forum builders put in some AI that does e.g. a bi-weekly or monthly report showing bug/fix/feature request topics within e.g. the past two years  that are basically duplicates so that they can be combined by the forum powers that be incl. the votes etc.
 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
Just now, Art V said:

Would it be possible to do the same for some other multiple requests of the same issue/bug/whatever for which there are quite a few people asking/commenting?


Yes, I try to do this when possible. If you see any I have not done that for, let me know and I'll do so.

 

1 minute ago, Art V said:

Or perhaps have the forum builders put in some AI that does e.g. a bi-weekly or monthly report showing bug/fix/feature request topics within e.g. the past two years  that are basically duplicates so that they can be combined by the forum powers that be incl. the votes etc.


So far no AI that I've seen can parse the way bugs are described reliably, still going to be a humans-only thing for at least a while.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
17 minutes ago, JimW said:

If you see any I have not done that for, let me know and I'll do so.

Will do, thanks.

 

13 minutes ago, JimW said:

So far no AI that I've seen can parse the way bugs are described reliably, still going to be a humans-only thing for at least a while.

So no worries about Skynet taking over then. :)

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

A little background......I was using VW 2012 but switched to Chief Architect. I'm currently reviewing a switch either back to VW, Archicad, or Revit. There are zero commercial tools in Chief. But, it's rock solid. Their beta testing and bug reporting are tops. It's unfortunate it can't be used for anything commercial. I miss my VW ceiling grid tool. Jeez.....we received a stretch tool for 2d cad work this year. Isn't tha insane?

 

So here we go........I did a webinar with the fellas at VW last week. This week the rep called to follow up. I told him I still needed more time, probably won't make a decision till later this year because my office is swamped. I have no spare time to evaluate all the trial programs. BUT BUT BUT I did mention to the sales rep that I remembered VW crashed quite a few times, was a little buggy, didn't heal roofs automatically, and wood framing isn't automatic. I remember wayback in my VW years, we received three upgrades a year. Chief releases minor bug fixes every 2 or 3 weeks. That's awesome service. But they won't add commercial tools, even after 2 or 3 years of users begging. So not all is perfect. So my point is, the sales rep also mentioned some VERY big things to come in the 2019 release that were going to address some of my comments.

 

In the short term, I'll hold onto my 3 seats of Chief, but I'm going to supplement my office with at LEAST one seat of a more commercial friendly program. Then decide later if I need to continue a two program environment...aghhhh. Training employees is hard enough.

 

Sorry. Hope I didn't hijack.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
20 hours ago, CARMELHILL said:

BUT BUT BUT I did mention to the sales rep that I remembered VW crashed quite a few times, was a little buggy,

 

20 hours ago, CARMELHILL said:

the sales rep also mentioned some VERY big things to come in the 2019 release that were going to address some of my comments.


@line-weight The two above quotes should be taken in context. 😎

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Perhaps big things need to happen for the little things to get resolved?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
9 hours ago, cberg said:

Perhaps big things need to happen for the little things to get resolved?

 

Now that you mentioned it...this was true of the US highways in the 1950s...instead of trying to make all the existing roads to handle the new traffic loads and speeds.  They decided to build an entirely new system with no stop lights/signs or any other things that would hinder safety & speed.  Now we have the US Interstate system.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Does anyone remember the old days of Autocad, maybe release 14? The general rule of thumb was the odd number releases were horrible, and the odd number releases were great. I think 13 was a disaster.

 

Maybe that applies here? But this will stick in my mind as I continue to review program options. I don't want to reinvent in anything that looks real snazzy, but is really half backed. The product video look and SOUND great with their catchy tunes, but they really are promotional propaganda. It's what's inside and if they work as advertised that really matters. No gimmicks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 5/4/2018 at 1:19 PM, CARMELHILL said:

Does anyone remember the old days of Autocad, maybe release 14? The general rule of thumb was the odd number releases were horrible, and the odd number releases were great. I think 13 was a disaster.

 

Maybe that applies here? But this will stick in my mind as I continue to review program options. I don't want to reinvent in anything that looks real snazzy, but is really half backed. The product video look and SOUND great with their catchy tunes, but they really are promotional propaganda. It's what's inside and if they work as advertised that really matters. No gimmicks.

 

It's very difficult to choose between packages. Because the only way you can really find out which is best for your needs is by using each one for a 'real' project for some time. And most people simply can't afford the time to do that. Because to make a fair comparison you'd need to become fairly fluent in each.

 

As I think I've said on here before I feel there's a niche for someone to do very thorough, comparative reviews of CAD packages. It would be a full time job and it would have to be done by someone with experience of real life workflows. The reviews that one can read at the moment generally aren't much help. They might discuss new features and so on but they never get into the nitty gritty of how things work in day to day practice, how buggy they are, and so on.

 

In the end most of us end up choosing amidst some kind of Stockholm Syndrome experience.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

It is that even Modo and C4D went from nearly instant to some painful <10 seconds

over the last few years too. But VW is a totally different league.

 

On the other hand I see Blender, FreeCAD and those ACAD derivates, today still open

nearly instantly.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Folks

 

It's 2018.

 

Why is VW 2018 SP 3 just completely quitting when it encounters something it doesn't like. It doesn't even get an opportunity to save. This isn't a specific corrupted file issue.

 

This instability is ridiculous, it makes it completely unreliable, especially if there is a looming deadline. Setting up a backup is not a sufficient solution, it breaks workflow and you spend the next 30mins trying to work out why it crashed in the first place. Most importantly destroys the user experience, please sort this out!

 

macOS High Sierra

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)

3.4 GHz Interl Core i5

16GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro 570 4096 MB

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 5/4/2018 at 5:45 AM, JimW said:

 


@line-weight The two above quotes should be taken in context. 😎

So if I take it in context the major work could be in overhauling how existing features work such that they could be marketed as new/improved. 

 

So a hypothetic new framed component type that made framing automatic, vastly improved sections and maybe even curtain walls faster wouldn’t be a new feature as the functionality exists but sure would be welcomed and could easily produce enough marketing videos to sell the upgrade in its own right.

 

If that’s the sort of no new features we are taking I’m on board.

Edited by Matt Overton
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

 

7150 Riverwood Drive, Columbia, Maryland 21046, USA   |   Contact Us:   410-290-5114

 

© 2018 Vectorworks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Vectorworks, Inc. is part of the Nemetschek Group.

×