My wish: VW2021 to have no new features. Please.

line-weight

Question

On 5/30/2018 at 10:48 PM, Bruce Kieffer said:

I think I remember this now that you mention it. I hope I remember in the future, but this still needs to be fixed, as well as the 42 crazy seconds to launch Vectorworks.

Given nothing in the Programme works until the User nominates a file to open (which could be a default or a double clicked document). The whole priority of the start-up should be getting to the point that selection is made and getting it on-screen and active. Everything else can wait and happen in natural lulls in activity in my mind.

Like the Resource Browser if it's not visible on screen or only going to show document resources there is zero need for it to delay getting to a user active state.

• Like 1
On 4/20/2017 at 6:52 PM, rDesign said:

I think the Vw wiki that @Christiaanalready has going over at Needle and Mortar is very detailed and specific about what Vw needs to  fix / improve / add.

For example, take a look at this page for the 2015 list of enhancement requests for the Door Tool.

Thank you for highlighting Christian's Wiki, we've been asking for a custom door tool that can draw multi leaf bifold doors now and an easy to use stair tool for so many years now that I'll probably retire before it happens...

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 6/5/2018 at 4:04 PM, Cadplan Architecture said:

Thank you for highlighting Christian's Wiki, we've been asking for a custom door tool that can draw multi leaf bifold doors now and an easy to use stair tool for so many years now that I'll probably retire before it happens...

Not sure why they just don't roll OzCad's tools in these to supplanted the stock tools. They seem to address most of the common issues that come up on forums.

There was noise that was going to happen to the titleblock but in the end it didn't and again lots of the issues you see with titleblock are very much dealt with in VAA titleblocks.

• Like 1

Today was all about fighting against existing bugs - 

1. Page edges still snap when all snaps are turned off. Pages are objects and their snaps should be disabled when all snaps are off in the snapping palette.
  2. NURBS surfaces still don't scale reliably in symbols.
  3. Viewports render to black.

Sigh, I really hope the focus is on fixing these issues.

Kevin

• Like 2

I used VW in 2011 and was frustrated. Moved to Chief Architect for my 99% residential business. But now I need some commercial stuff. I've been watching this thread because I'm reviewing VW and AC for a second platform for next year to supplement Chief. I'm holding off until I see 2019 roll out. To see all this negativity is killer. I'm not saying Archicad is the be all, end all, but at least VW has keynotes out of the box without an add on and multi window multi monitor views, which AC still doesn't seem to have......even with AC 22.

15 hours ago, CARMELHILL said:

I'm reviewing VW and AC for a second platform for next year to supplement Chief

If with AC you mean AutoCAD then I would strongly suggest to take a look at Bricscad instead as it does come with a BIM module which is useful for architecture and also does 3D better in quite a few ways compared to AutoCAD.

However, I wouldn't be that quick to dismiss Vectorworks, having used AutoCAD and compatibles for 25 years Vectorworks definitely has advantages over AutoCAD in several areas despite some of the shortcomings in other areas. If they would fix some of the DWG compatibiity things (e.g. text styles that import/export from/to dwg) and I would have to to choose between AutoCAD and Vectorworks then I'd go for Vectorworks. YMMV as it depends on what you are doing.

If I would have to choose between AutoCAD and Bricscad then it would definitely be Bricscad unless you need one of those few things that are in AutoCAD and not yet (fully) supported by Bricscad and for which it does not have a (better) alternative.

12 minutes ago, Art V said:

If with AC you mean AutoCAD then I would strongly suggest to take a look at Bricscad instead as it does come with a BIM module which is useful for architecture and also does 3D better in quite a few ways compared to AutoCAD.

No. God no. Not in a million years no.

I meant Graphisoft Archicad, probably the Solo edition to start off and work on for at least one year before deciding about a full plunge. 

I wonder if Vectorworks has a large enough development and programming team to ensure they come up with new features but still iron out bugs of the existing program. They have a lot of cute features and their Youtube videos every year are very snazzy. But that is all proaganda. How it all comes together when you use it everyday is what's most important and I don't want to make another mistake. Chief is great, and they release lots of updates, but I don't think they will ever incorporate anything commercial into the program.

1 minute ago, zoomer said:

Every App has ... that is not that difficult 😉

I think he refers to Archicad.

If ACAD was meant, I totally agree to go Bricscad instead 🙂

Ah, that makes more sense after looking up the Archicad current  version.

And re AutoCAD.... the only two advantages it has nowadays is that is fully DWG compatible (although it does mess with the files and the verticals litter the dwg files with proxies etc.) and that it is from Autodesk (not sure if that is an advantage though 🙄)  so like IBM it will always be ok with some people if you use it even if it is not the best choice.

2 minutes ago, Art V said:

and that it is from Autodesk (not sure if that is an advantage though 🙄)

It's my understanding Autodesk switched to a completely subscription based model. You don't pay next year, then you lose access to the program to make any changes. I think you can still open the file, but that's it. You have to subscribe to Autocad LT to do anything with the file. Revit is what most people look at, as opposed to Autocad, but same thing. You lose the access.

I don't think that's a good way to treat your customers. I would still buy the yearly program to get the updates, but don't extort me and my firm.

8 minutes ago, CARMELHILL said:

They have a lot of cute features and their Youtube videos every year are very snazzy. But that is all proaganda.

I don't think it is propaganda only.

All Apps have beautiful videos and tutorials showing wonderful projects

you can do - based on their feature set.

The problem I ran into all the time is that projects have details that do not

fit in these feature sets provided and make you run into limits.

9 minutes ago, Art V said:

and that it is from Autodesk (not sure if that is an advantage though 🙄)

DWG isn't that bad,

but its advantage isn't that it is ACAD but that it is the market leading CAD format.

(Or was. It is abandoned as it lost its proprietary feature by everyone reverse engineering

it. RVT is the current way to make competition's life harder)

The problem with those better ACAD-like Apps is that they want and need the ACAD

switcher market and that they therefore intend to provide 100% ACAD features and

behavior to make these users feel comfortable.

And in my opinion 95% of all ACAD functionality is solved so much better in any other

App.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, CARMELHILL said:

No. God no. Not in a million years no.

🤣🤣  👍

As good as the base AutoCAD may be for what it does well, the incompatibility between its verticals (AutoCAD Map, Civil, Plant etc.) makes other options a better choice even if those would not be that much cheaper in the end.

Based on what I have read about Archicad so far is that it is more aimed at structured drawing for commercial/institutional buildings (e.g. like Revit though less restrictive) and for large(r) teams working on server based files. It's pricing structure seems to match that. For one man companies or small companies of e.g. up to 5 people Vectorworks may be the better option in the longer run unless you can take full benefit of the tools that work better in Archicad than in Vectorworks or that Vectorworks doesn't ahve.

I just looked up Chief Architect and it seems to be a quite nice piece of software but it seems heavily focused on home design only. 

I'd say that Vectorworks sits inbetween Chief Architect and Archicad.

If you want to do residential and commercial buildings then Vectorworks might be the middle ground (or compromise if you prefer to call it that way). I.e. suitable for both residential and commercial projects without the overhead of Archicad.

18 minutes ago, CARMELHILL said:

It's my understanding Autodesk switched to a completely subscription based model. You don't pay next year, then you lose access to the program to make any changes. I think you can still open the file, but that's it. You have to subscribe to Autocad LT to do anything with the file. Revit is what most people look at, as opposed to Autocad, but same thing. You lose the access.

I don't think that's a good way to treat your customers. I would still buy the yearly program to get the updates, but don't extort me and my firm.

Worse, not only is it completely subscription, but development of the software is slowing down as they plan to move all software into the cloud instead of locally installed (in the long run).

On top of that they got rid of lots of good software engineers who understand their users and some of their big recognition/reputation people like Heidi Hewett and Lynn Allen. Apparently several former AutoCAD/Autodesk top employees joined Bricsys/Bricscad. just have a look at this blog site to read the rants about Autodesk's policies and lack of fixing bugs etc. https://www.cadnauseam.com/blogs/ 😊

19 minutes ago, zoomer said:

And in my opinion 95% of all ACAD functionality is solved so much better in any other

App.

I agree with this for 95% 😉

Bricscad doing mechanical (e.g. assemblies and MCAD import through their addon), sheet metal and BIM in a single application is something I can definitely appreciate, esp. now that I'm getting to know Solidworks a bit. I wish Vectorworks could to assemblies and sub-assemblies as well. (not that I want VW to become and MCAD program but outside MCAD (sub)assemblies can still be useful for other things as well).

Of course there is no such thing as a perfect program but given Jim's comment on the 1300 fixes and to watch for 2019 it will be interesting to see what it will turn out to be.

Edited by Art V
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, Art V said:

Bricscad doing mechanical (e.g. assemblies and MCAD import through their addon)

Especially for BIM, I am a great friend of a "Structure" tree.

Basically that is how any 3D Mesh Modeling Apps works,

but where hierarchy order is dynamic.

And even more parametric and Structure Tree only !

(No Classes or Layers at all)

is FreeCAD. And I think that is freaking cool.

13 hours ago, Bruce Kieffer said:

I will continue to use Vectorworks. I'm not going to change CAD apps at this point in my career.

Well, I use other Apps "beside" VW.

I also will stay VW,

as long as they don't screw up VW 2019 completely 🙂

14 hours ago, Bruce Kieffer said:

and then move on to having fun.

I think VW in general is more on the faster and fun making side than many other Apps.

At least as long as projects mostly fit into its features.

• Like 2