Save palette positions across multiple screens

John Whyte

Question

I work across 2 screens : SCREEN1 - 15" Macbook Pro, SCREEN2 - 22" Monitor. 

The way i like to have them setup is with my drawing on SCREEN2 and all my pallets on SCREEN1.

The problem i have is that every time i open VWX my drawing is on SCREEN2 with all the pallets dumped ontop of it (see screenshot). I then have to manually drag them to screen 2 arrange the positions etc to start working, as soon as i close and re open VWX this resets to everything be dumped on SCREEN2. How can i get the palette positions saved to always sit on SCEEN1 ? 

VWX Architect 14

OSX

Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 10.40.51.png

Edited by John Whyte

4 answers to this question

Do you do any work on just the laptop without the 2nd screen? 

I have the same thing happen when I've done work on a single screen and then open with the external screen attached. VW remembers the last screen used (most of the time) so using one screen resets the palette locations.

Also, do you have your second screen set as primary, when connected, in your mac settings?

I actually started writing this without fully reading the question, so I decided to just finish.  so everything below is good information but probably not directly applicable.  The answer is to make sure that after you reset your palette positions that you quit VW and then restart it. The positions are only stored when VW does a successful quit. If you have a crash the settings will be lost. If this does not work, double check that your preferences and workspaces are stored somewhere that you have permission to write to. If the file can't be written then the positions can't be saved.

This has been an ongoing frustration for a long time. It has to do with the fact that palette positions are stored with the workspace. When the "hardware" changes, the palettes are moved so that they are all on visible on the connected display(s).

The only workaround that I know of is to remember to change workspaces before connecting or disconnecting screens.

I think that a set of 5 workspaces works best. 

1.  A Master Workspace for the first screen setup.

2. A Master Workspace for the second screen setup.

3. A simple MOVE workspace that you will switch to as you are going between screen setups

4. A Working workspace for the first screen setup.

5. A Working workspace for the second screen setup.

For each setup set the palettes the way you like using the Master Workspace. Quit and Restart VW when you are happy with the setup. Duplicate the Master to the Working. Repeat the above the the second screen setup.  The reason for the Master and Working files is that at some point you will forget to switch workspaces before switching setups. You can then just delete the "corrupted" workspace and copy the Master again.

When you go to switch screen setups, first switch to the MOVE workspace. This makes sure that you don't corrupt the workspace by having it see a different screen setup. When you get the other screen setup connected, changes your workspace to the correct one for that setup.

Inconvenient, but probably less inconvenient than having to move the palettes every time.

• Like 1