How to attach record infor to Detail Bubbles

I have been reading the docs and exprimenting with detail bubbles and Record Formats in VW ME 9.5.3 and I can not get them to work. If I start with a template that has the Part List and BOM pregenerated, and then I make an object and add some info to the Part list record, of the object. Now I attach a detail bubble and regenerate the spread sheet, What works is the correct number of cells with respect to bubbles are generated and the correct value for QUANITY is generated, but description is ALWAYS EMPTY!!!! No matter what I do. Can some one please describe the necessary details IN DEPTH and ever include an example file. This is causing me no end of greif!

Thanks

Ron Kenyeri

Are you putting the data for a record in a symbol object you've created in the drawing?

Are you entering in data in the edit symbol mode, or for a specific symbol instance on the drawing?

Katie,

I do it in the following order:

Start with a new template : ASSEMBLY-ASME-B

This gives me the BOM & Part List SpreadSheets

Next I Drop in a scew from the tool bar

and click on data-part list-description

and a description

then I attach a balloon and then recalcuate the spread sheet.

And thou I get the right number, I NEVER get any thing in the description cell.

So what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Ron

Ron,

If I understand you correctly, you are entering the description into the record attached to the screw. What you need to do is enter the information into the record attached to the detail bubble. The BOM worksheet looks for detail bubbles and gets all of the information from them. After you place a detail bubble, click on the bubble and look on the Shape pane of the Object Info and click on the Change Record Info field. A dialog will appear allowing you to enter the information for that bubble. This is the information that will appear on the BOM when you open the BOM worksheet and select Recalculate from the worksheet menu.

I hope this helps.

Tom Urie

Tom,

Followed your example, and this time I got the correct Item # AND the correct Quanity value. But still nothing in the description cell.

So went back to the manual and looked into the record fields and I clicked on the "database header" option in the spreadsheet there were the following Items:

=(('Part Info Record'.'Item #'))

=(('Part Info Record'.Qty))

but the cell for decription was blank, so I added

=(('Part Info Record'.Description)) to column B

and now the Part List is working.

But what caused this? Until tonight I have never used the database option in VW. I tried several other templates and I got the same thing. Is there some way I can update the templates (can I resave a template over a template and not break any critical links)?

Let me know and thanks for the help,

Ron

Ron,

Thanks for pointing this out. I'll try to find out why the field is missing from the worksheet in the templates.

To answer your question about templates, all you need to do is start with an existing template, make any changes, and save the updated file as a template (or stationary, as they are also known) with the same or different name. All of the unchanged stuff in the original file will still be there.

I'm glad you were able to solve the problem with the missing field. This should give you an idea of how easy it is to customize VectorWorks for your own needs.

Tom Urie