isometric section view

Hi @all,

this is something that I'm often asked to do but can't find any solution or workaround with VW:

My guys on the building site want to have an isometric detail view, printed on paper or as PFD. So It should be kind of isometric elevation view between two sections.

No way to do that with viewports on sheet layers, so I have experimented a lot with viewports on design layers, but it seems that there is defintetely no way to do this simple thing with VW.

Any ideas ?

section.jpg

@markdd  this is just plane awesome.  Took a little bit to get the gist of it.  But it worked great.  This in my mind ups the anti when it comes to 3D details.

Kudos on this one.  Thanks for sharing.  :)

Your right @Alan Woodwell tick the up (green box) arrow on markdd's comment(s).  Just a little stoked with this one.

Edited by Markvl

Thanks for all the positive comments. What I find incredibly good about membership of this forum is that when someone suggests an idea or poses a problem that is outside of your normal working practice - it gets you thinking - so you try to find a solution. Ultimately I learn a new technique and so do others who will hopefully be encouraged to share what they have learned. This makes Vectorworks software more compelling and as a result more powerful.

In that spirit, I thought I would re-visit this thread one more time to experiment with an idea. I would like to show the objects beyond the section plane greyed out (rather in the same way that objects display when editing within a group or symbol in OpenGL.) I figured that in the advanced properties of the viewport, if I assign the objects beyond the cut plane to a separate class (in the same way that there is a section style) then I would be able to grey the class in the viewport giving me the result I'm after. Not so! I can't get the objects beyond section plane class assignments to have any effect beyond the hidden line and shaded polygon styles. Enclosed is the file if anybody wants to have a go!

Mark

Clip Cube SECTION-2.vwx

• Like 1
  • 3 years later...
On 4/19/2017 at 12:05 PM, markdd said:

With a Sheet Layer Viewport. Set the design layer to the view you want to show on the sheet, in screen plane, draw a rectangle crop around the view you want to display on the viewport, select it, then run the Create Viewport command from the view menu and place the viewport on a new sheet layer. Voila! You will need to mess about with the right scale of the viewport as well as the dpi settings of the sheet layer to get a smart result but its pretty straightforward forward after that.

Example attached

Clip Cube SECTION.vwx

😍

@Ride this thread is old + the method described is no longer necessary assuming you're on VW2019 or later. Now you can create Clip Cube sheet layer viewports just by activating the clip cube on the design layer, get it looking the way you want, then running the 'Create Viewport' command + choosing the sheet layer you want the clip cube viewport to be placed on.

Make sure 'Display with clip cube' is enabled in the 'Create Viewport' dialog.

Right-click on the resultant VP + choose 'Edit Camera' + you can edit the clip cube + change the view.

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

@Ride this thread is old + the method described is no longer necessary assuming you're on VW2019 or later. Now you can create Clip Cube sheet layer viewports just by activating the clip cube on the design layer, get it looking the way you want, then running the 'Create Viewport' command + choosing the sheet layer you want the clip cube viewport to be placed on.

Make sure 'Display with clip cube' is enabled in the 'Create Viewport' dialog.

Right-click on the resultant VP + choose 'Edit Camera' + you can edit the clip cube + change the view.

Ok, thanks for the reply. This makes sense now. 

On 2/19/2021 at 10:52 PM, Tom W. said:

...Right-click on the resultant VP + choose 'Edit Camera' + you can edit the clip cube + change the view...

When I go to 'Edit Camera' mode any camera changes work fine and 'stick' - but changes to the clip cube don't stay once I click 'return to viewport'

Do I possibly need to check a box somewhere for this function to work?