Mirror texture VW2017

barkest

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
6 minutes ago, barkest said:

Hi Jim

if you go back to the first post then you can see the difference in the reflection.

I mean after you use the new settings I mentioned in 2017 alone, no exporting back to or importing from 2015 involved. But either way, confirmed both here on the board and internally we use a different reflectance than before, which explains the change, but the current thinking is that the 2017 version is "correct" and since 2015 will no longer receive updates, the older version will not change and any time you go from one to the other, this difference will appear.

3 minutes ago, JimW said:

he current thinking is that the 2017 version is "correct"

Fair enough but I can fully understand my students confusion (and mine). We use 2015 at Uni and are moving to 2017 ready for the next academic year. In the meantime the students license expires (after 1 year and I have done that to death) and 2015 is no longer 'downloadable' so they have the situation of 2015 to 2017 and back if they have a copy on their own machines (everyone does).

Hopefully you can see the issues that a 1-year license causes us.

thanks

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Offtopic, but what's the reason your university is still running 2015? Just general IT upgrade cycle policy?

(I'm completely on your side with that one. The general thinking is that we would want students to always be on the latest version, but that's separate from the reality of technology within a large educational institution.)

Offtopic, but what's the reason your university is still running 2015? Just general IT upgrade cycle policy?

The students are at Uni for 3-years and each new academic year starts late September. This is awful timing for us as the new release has just or is just coming out. We can't take a chance and use it as once its deployed we are locked in for a year. ICT deploy an image and that's it for 1-year. It sounds bad but in all honesty there are a few thousand macs/pcs and they are in use 24/7. So we have to take the previous year which in this case is 2017. We don't want to burden students with having to learn VW latest version each time they come back from Summer leave so we have a 2-year upgrade cycle.

For whatever reason we missed a year this time (the whatever reason was laughable but another story) and the students are now 'shuttling' between 2015 and 2017. Therefore we have OMG what is that resource browser! I haven't taught it as we have 2015. Last night we had the mirror texture is broken.

All in a days work :)

I support around 120 students on my own at any one time and as we are Edu users we don't get external support, certainly not in the UK and that has been made clear to us.

These boards are all I have and I can't tell you how much I thank everyone for their help everyday I wake up

Edited by barkest