Point cloud file (XYZ) displayed as a flat panoramic image rather than 3d when imported into VWX

Ive been sent a XYZ point cloud file by a surveyor that im having trouble working with in VWX Architect 2017. 

When i open it up it seems like its just a flat panoramic image rather than a 3d point cloud, is there some view / rendering setting i need to toggle on to get it to work properly ? 

Ive attached 2 screenshots of what im getting with this file below. 

Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 23.23.40.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 23.36.18.png

That definitely does not look like it was input from a Point Cloud; When you imported it, you went File > Import > Import Point Cloud, correct?

If you're certain that it is an .XYZ point cloud file, you could try opening it in either open source CloudCompare or MeshLab to see if the problem is with the XYZ file or Vectorworks.

Edited by rDesign
  • Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
13 hours ago, rDesign said:

When you imported it, you went File > Import > Import Point Cloud, correct?

This would be my first question as well, it seems like it may have been copy/pasted from another source and then appeared as a bitmap, what does that object say it is when you select it?

17 hours ago, rDesign said:

That definitely does not look like it was input from a Point Cloud; When you imported it, you went File > Import > Import Point Cloud, correct?

If you're certain that it is an .XYZ point cloud file, you could try opening it in either open source CloudCompare or MeshLab to see if the problem is with the XYZ file or Vectorworks.

Thanks rDesign i gave it a try in Cloudcompare and got the same result (see attached) which leads my to believe its an issue with the file rather than VWX. I also tried importing another point cloud file from another surveyor and that worked fine once imported into VWX. So it does seem like the file is the issue, ill work with the surveyor to try and get a new one. 

Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 23.42.18.png

Edited by John Whyte