Getting a unit record field from a custom plugin object

So I'm working on a custom dialog script to select various plugin objects I've created by type. I'm using vs.GetRField to get data from my 'Diameter' field, but since it's passing as a string interpretation (6'0" shows up as 6e000') it's not in a usable format to match to my incoming data from the vs.GetEditReal function (which shows up as 72.000000). I'm wondering if there's a function I'm not seeing or finding that will get that info in the units format like I need. I couldn't seem to get vs.GetObjectVariableReal to work for me either but perhaps I'm using it wrong. I figured the index value would be the number (or n-1) in the plug-in definition parameters.

ValidNumStr will convert the text to a number for comparison, and is fairly robust.  There is also Str2Num, but it's less effective in some cases.

Num2StrF will convert a number to a distance formatted string, but in this case I would recommend comparing numbers.

I also recommend using Eq() to compare numbers within a tolerance.

-Josh

• Like 1

There is no global way of doing this, certainly with third party plug-ins. The functions mentioned by Josh are the best option for default units.

VS based plug-ins will have limited implementations for anything not being a default unit. With the SDK there are more options, including translating units while being shown in worksheets but not everything will be exposed, certainly not from third party developers. There are interfaces available for energy and irrigation units.

• Like 1