Positioning imported .dxf file. Newbie begs for Help

Salut!

I am becoming rather desperate over the matter of trying to repostiong class data line work which is positionally sensitive to its 2D space (ruler scale).

If I move the line work, I lose its postion on the scale, however, importing .dxf files autmatically position central on a document which is not desireable for obvious reasons.

Is there a trick, I am new to VectorWorks.

Thank you for your help.

Importing a DXF file will position the objects in the DXF relative to the coordinate system.

Say there's an object at (20,200) in AutoCad. When that file is imported into VW, that object will automatically use the coordinates to place the object. In VW, the same object will be at (20,200).

This is a common problem if the original file in AutoCad was moved or was drawn starting away from 0,0.

Thank you for better outlining the problem. [smile]

I finally figured out how to reposition my .dxf map boundaries file accurately.

Perhaps no one understands what I was asking, sorry for the lack of clarity, my only excuse is; I am new to CAD/GIS work and have only been working with Vectorworks for a few hours.

Problem: .dxf is an exported Map layer from GPS data collected and 3D differentially corrected. Scale 1:10,000 UTM Z9 WGS84 in meters (of course). Import places the .dxf map layer central in the Page Layout, but does retain scale/positional info. Moving map layer loses its positional information.

What I did to solve my problem is:

1. Grouped all my objects ( Boundary Areas, Roads/Skid Trail Lines, and POT/POC/Hub Points.

2. Read the Object Vertex, and recorded. (x: 662753.1 y: 5988552.5)

3. Shift the Origin by using "Set Origin..." and "Next Mouse Click is: x: 662753.1, y: 5988552.5 position" to offset where I would like my Object data to be placed on the Page Layout.

4. Used the Object Info to reposition the Group Object Vertex to its original x: 662753.1, y: 5988552.5 position with reference to ruler scale.

I must say I spent many an hour trying to figure this one out, but I am really relieved to have finally figured it out. Now hopefully I will be able to start doing work that I can charge for [smile]

Cheers!