MarcU

Best way to set working plane perpendicular to a linear object?

Question

Hi

the set working plane tool has only two methods: you can align it to a surface or you can use three points to define it.

In many cases, I want to look in the direction of a certain line in 3d space (the edge of some object or just a segment of a 3d poly), especially to rotate objects around a line, using the line as an axis. So I would have to set the working plane perpendicualar to the axis.

What is the best way to achieve this? Or are there other ways to rotate objects around existing linear objects in 3d?

Thanks for any help.

Markus

4 answers to this question

Use the Planar Face Mode of the Set Working Plane tool & click the end of the Linear Object.

(too cool)

Screen Shot 2017-04-13 at 10.01.32 AM.png

Edited by bcd
  • Like 1

Thanks! This was new to me, helps and is a good step forward. But: it only works with NURBS curves (which I had to find out first by trying long...) It does not work with 3D-polys and solids/meshes. So  It would be great to have some ctrl-alt-shift combination to switch to "perpendicular mode" independently of the type of linear object.

Markus

What if you were to use the 3 points method. Define the X axis as the two points on either end of the segment, let Y be an abitrary point in space, and the center of the segment be the origin.  You can always rotate the working plane once it has be set.

Thanks Grant

I find the 3-Point method not very intuitive and complicated since I would have to turn the plane in to position in a second step. SketchUp works so much more user friendly and fluent in this case.

Happy Easter

Markus