barkest

Send to C4D Area Light

Question

I have a bunch of area lights in VW and I send them to C4D and I end up with a null (named correctly as I named it in the data tab in the OIP) and a NURBS surface as a child which has a material with a luminance channel.

I would expect this if it was a glow texture in VW but an area light in VW should = an area light in C4D?

Thanks

8 answers to this question

Although I very seldom use area lights because of render time,

I think you are right and it should work as you proposed.

May that is something from the times when there weren't area lights

of one side of the Apps ?

No idea why they do not translate other than it was missed somehow.

They also don't translate nested Symbols keeping nesting and those things ...

2 hours ago, barkest said:

I have a bunch of area lights in VW and I send them to C4D and I end up with a null (named correctly as I named it in the data tab in the OIP) and a NURBS surface as a child which has a material with a luminance channel.

I would expect this if it was a glow texture in VW but an area light in VW should = an area light in C4D?

Thanks

To workaround this fast in C4D:  Choose your nurb surface and then go to AXIS>Center Axis to Object.  Then add a new area light and make it a child of the nurb surface.  Now hit Shift+C to bring up the command line search and type in PSR reset and double click on that from the list.  This will center your area light exactly where your nurb surface is.  Scale to size with the yellow dots on the area light.  Unchild this and then delete the nurb surface.  Dial in the area light properties to taste.

I know this doesn't fix your issue, but will help you speed up getting the area lights where you need them.

e.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, zoomer said:

They also don't translate nested Symbols keeping nesting and those things ...

Which is evil and deletes the whole purpose of organizing your VW before export to Cinema...  But you and I have covered this before :)

:D

Yes.

If someone has too much spare time to re-check for 100% conversion of C4D Exchange,

- a 100% Color White + 80% Intensity in VW will bring a 80% Color Gray + 100% intensity in C4D

- changing Focal Length of VW Cameras will bring the same standard Focal Length in C4D

but change the Sensor Size instead to deliver same viewing angle.

Spoke with engineering and we are pretty sure this was an oversight, when exported a Light object should translate into an equivalent Light object. Submitted as a bug: VB-140712

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, EAlexander said:

I know this doesn't fix your issue, but will help you speed up getting the area lights where you need them

Thank you

6 minutes ago, JimW said:

Spoke with engineering and we are pretty sure this was an oversight

That was my guess. Thank you

They also don't translate nested Symbols keeping nesting and those things

Another good reason to clean up components when importing objects from SketchUp

Edited by barkest