Keynote Legend

I have used Keynotes and Legends on several projects. My current dilemma is I have a drawing file with keynotes shown in the annotation viewport but no Keynote Legend. I have tried to take a legend from another file in the same project and create a new file and keynote legend yet I can not recreate or restore the Keynote Legend. Has anyone else come across this issue and do you have a fix?

Keynotes that have been copied between files don't bring the Keynote Legend along with it.

What I do to bring back missing Keynote Legend objects, is this:

1) go into the VP where the Keynote callouts reside and select one;

2) over on the OIP uncheck the option to 'Place as Keynote'. The note text should appear as a Callout Object inside the VP annotations.

3) Select the Callout and check 'Place as Keynote' and the Keynote Legend should be placed somewhere on the SL or DL.

4) Make sure the Keynotes are referencing the Default Legend.

5) Repeat as needed for the rest of the Keynote objects.

HTH.

Edited by rDesign
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 4/11/2017 at 11:31 AM, rDesign said:

Keynotes that have been copied between files don't bring the Keynote Legend along with it.

What I do to bring back missing Keynote Legend objects, is this:

1) go into the VP where the Keynote callouts reside and select one;

2) over on the OIP uncheck the option to 'Place as Keynote'. The note text should appear as a Callout Object inside the VP annotations.

3) Select the Callout and check 'Place as Keynote' and the Keynote Legend should be placed somewhere on the SL or DL.

4) Make sure the Keynotes are referencing the Default Legend.

5) Repeat as needed for the rest of the Keynote objects.

HTH.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will give this a shot!

• 1 year later...

Hi Jonathan:

I have been working with VW since 1996 and have always tried to be faithful to it. But lately it has been so frustrated to find solutions to it's problems it's come to a point which I'm very doubtful.

I don't work 24/7. But I have found myself working 12/7 because of discrepancies like this. Sorry about the ranting. I just spent 3 hours looking for a way to create a new Keynote Legend. Why is it so hard? Could you show me the way please? Just so I receive your help could you email me at sidug@shaw.ca please?

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

Where are Keynote Legends in the Resource Manager?

Jonathan @Jonathan Pickup above says that the best way to make a new legend is to duplicate and existing one and rename, but I'm not sure where to look to even do this.

I have a 'phantom' keynote called "note[]" that I would like to either rename and reuse or just delete but I've no idea how to access it.

Searching in the resource manager search box doesn't find it...

thanks for any help.

They don't live in the resource manager. 

Place a dummy callout object.  In the OIP check Place As Keynote.  A Keynote Legend will magically appear nearby.  Duplicate THAT legend.  In the OIP for that legend there is a name field.  Name it what ever you want. 

Now you will notice on callout objects that have Place as Keynote checked, there will be choices in the Keynote Legend pulldown for what legend that callout is assigned to.

hth

• Like 2

@michaelk    I found them...

6 legends stacked on top of each other - on a  design layer instead of the Sheet Layer I was working on (and NOT the design layer I had made a viewport from either...).

And way out side of the working area - I went to each and every sheet layer and then design layer and used 'fit to objects'... of course they were on the last one I checked!

Crazy.

Made me wish VW had a Maya like 'Outliner' menu - where everything (from cameras, to nodes, to objects, to scripts) is listed and can be selected and made active.

Would be as if the Resource Manager listed every instance of every thing uniquely and had a "select" button in the right click menu.

Makes finding things very easy - one click in the outliner and there you are.

I might add this to the wishlist!

Yikes. 🙂  Glad you found it.

I use a worksheet for exactly this.  The criteria is Type = whatever class or objects I'm interested in.  The database headers are =L, =C, =T, =PON, =S, and =ANGLE.  That usually tells me when things are in the wrong class, hiding in weird layers, inserted just slight off angle, etc.

• Like 4