Light Colour

barkest

Hi

just watching someone set up lights (not VW) and he said the light colour is never white but maybe has a bit of yellow/red in it.

I did add some colour (attached) and not sure what kind of values I am looking at here.

Is this what others do and if so what kind of HSB values?

thanks

Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 11.21.47.png

I do set my light colors.

But I use Kelvin, which is the standard.

The OS X color picker seems to not provide a Kelvin color temperature model.

Image Editing and 3D Apps have extended color pickers with different color models like

an additional Kelvin setup :

Screenshot-7.jpg.6d8a4de6d1dfdacc1c440d27a88e1f65.jpg

These can be pretty saturated and work best in physically based render systems.

You could convert these values to RGB or HSV system in as suitable App.

For VW RW Rendering I would set colors by eyeballing anyway.

Aren't you opening a Pandora"s Box here?! It depends on what you consider to be white.... It is all relative from there. You could take a look at this page from LEE filters which gives filter values when converting from various sources to 3200K Tungsten. You can of course set the native white point of the model in the lighting options and then use the light objects' emitter set to Candelas to show the relative colour temperature.

17 minutes ago, markdd said:

Aren't you opening a Pandora"s Box here?!

Oh I hope not given that I am no lighting engineer. I have a good handle on the lighting options but never played around with the colour until I saw the video where this guy says you would never use white. Its gone from there really. @zoomerhas confirmed no white.

This then led onto white walls and maybe you need them to be toned down a bit.

Getting into light dynamics is way above my pay grade.

thanks for the link

For night shots in VW I use Heliodon at around or past sun set and self illuminating faces

with a glow material for artificial light.

I just set a greenish material color for fluorescent lights and an orange incandescent lights.

And played with saturations the same as I played with glow brightness until it looked

reasonable.

For white painted walls I use white (or better gray).

They might be also yellowish or grayish in reality but I want to show the ideal wall in

architecture. So no nicotine color saturation for me.

But if you want to use GI and receive a proper and realistic calculation,

you can't use a pure white as this means no light absorption and flat indirect lighting.

In reality clean white non-metal materials will only reflect about up to 75% of light,

the rest will be absorbed. So I use a 80% gray color in any professional render system.

(Or color white with only 80% on the brightness setting if available,

in C4D you could also use pure white but decrease GI contribution scale down to 80%)

This needs to set your cameras exposure to make walls look "white" at the end.

I see no other exposure in VW beside the camera exposure.

And as cameras tend to implode when you touch them too often, that physically based workflow

may not always be appropriate for VW + RW.

Meanwhile I recommend to use a white color for white materials in VW.

As it easier to handle and looks better most times than trying to force RW to a physical based

workflow and accuracy.

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, markdd said:

The white walls idea is a really good one. Set the texture to 75% reflection. I think it gives slightly more realistic results.

that would give the impression of a silk/gloss paint rather than a matt which is what is normally on the walls?

• 11 months later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Heliodon and Physical Sky will change color automatically with time of day, for natural lighting. 

All light object light colors can be set to Kelvin color temperature in the Obj Info palette.

5aafcc10db283_ScreenShot2018-03-19at10_40_29AM.thumb.png.d4d8eda544a15f0726a0daf2f54cd086.png

I believe some of the lighting objects in the symbol libraries have color set using Kelvin already.