Viewport Question

markdd

Question

I want to make a small viewport of an item from my model and put it on a sheet layer. A top view. I would like to then copy it and show several other views of the same item. When I change the view in the viewport to for instanceit goes blank and I then have to enter the crop view and go in search of the item that I have created the viewport for and adjust it accordingly to show the correct object. This is fine, but laborious. Is there a setting that I don't know about that would allow the model to rotate in the viewport around the object that the viewport is displaying; or does anybody have a good workflow to achieve this easily.

Many thanks

Edited by markdd

7 answers to this question

Mark,

This is why I always make symbols of my set elements and place each one on a layer of its own, centred at the origin. If things are centred at the origin, they don't shift when you switch the view of a viewport. As you say, duplicating the viewport makes it fast to layout a sheet.

(I've often wished that a viewport could look at a symbol definition instead of a layer, then I wouldn't need all my extra layers with individual symbols.)

Kevin

If your design layer has only the one object, create the first viewport without any crop object. The viewport will automatically adjust to be the size of the object. Then when you duplicate the viewport and switch the view from Top to Left, for example, it will auto-adjust to the new geometry. As long as there is no crop object a viewport will always display everything visible on the design layer(s).

But if you need the crop because the object is part of a larger model (which it sounds like this is what you're dealing with), I don't think there's a way to do this aside from doing it manually. There's no 'focus object' function that I'm aware of.

15 minutes ago, markdd said:

Thanks. I thought so. The idea works well in a separate layer which will do for now. It would be great if one could "name" an object for the model to rotate around. Maybe a wish list item?

I wondered if an option for the new Create Interior Elevations command would be to look inward at something rather than just looking outward at the walls of a room. I think many of us draw stand alone objects that we'd like to look at from all sides.

KM

33 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

I wondered if an option for the new Create Interior Elevations command would be to look inward at something rather than just looking outward at the walls of a room. I think many of us draw stand alone objects that we'd like to look at from all sides.

KM

This might be getting OT, but what would the graphic symbol look like for the condition you're describing? I think it would have to be four separate Elevation markers, in which case, it seems that you could Create four separate Interior Elevations, each one only showing one side of the object.

42 minutes ago, rDesign said:

This might be getting OT, but what would the graphic symbol look like for the condition you're describing? I think it would have to be four separate Elevation markers, in which case, it seems that you could Create four separate Interior Elevations, each one only showing one side of the object.

It would be 4 separate elevation markers, all linked together as one element, each with customizable offset from the insertion point (eg. the centre of the object or area you want four views of). Ultimately this is all about automated drawing co-ordination and quickly generating viewports. In my world, I sometimes model a whole show in 3d and generate 12 sheets of drafting from the model in two days or less.

KM