InteriorCad 2017

Hi all,

I'm a long time user of interiorCad. I'm still using v. 2014 and although I have VW 2105 I did not upgrade due to alot of issues with later v. of iCad. That being said, I'm looking to upgrade and I would like to see how any users are finding the latest versions sep. 2017. I did look at some videos on youtube and it looks promising. Any thoughts or feedback you be appreciated.

Thank you.

John

• 5 months later...

John

Ive been using v2014 as well, but have also kept Vectorworks and iCAD up to date. There are still some features that are not finished. Frame and panel faces and face frames are not available yet, so I can't use it. I really like where the software is going, but waiting 3-4 years for a working version is not good. I am trying Mozaik hoping to get CNC ready. If ExtraGroup could finish the rebuild I would rather stay with iCAD. I'm not sure if the Windows version maintains backward compatibility for some of these features.

• Like 1

Hi John,

We've been using interiorcad classic for around 5 years now. Since 2014-2015 we've been using the Vectorwop module to create CNC-programs.

The classic version indeed has some very frustrating limitations and bugs. We've worked around some of these bug with a python script that we've developed in-house that reads all the CNC files and cutting lists and automatically adjusts them according to the available information. But of course it's still very limited compared to the software of the competitors.

Since late 2015 we've started testing the new cabinetmaker. The "engine" looks indeed very promising but the tools around them are still being developed.

In the beginning of this year, with version 2017 F1 or F2, we thought it was operational and started some projects with it. But because of some bugs and undeveloped features at that moment, we immediately decided to return to the classic cabinetmaker.

So indeed like what Woodychips says, the wait is really long. And they don't have a complete solution at the moment. The old one has lots of limitations and is sometimes buggy (but we know when to be careful). The new one seems very promising and the stuff that is already developed is great! But there are still some bugs/missing features which makes it unfit for operation for us.

We have also tested Topsolid and watched demo's of others like Imos, CAD+t, Korpus, ...

In our opinion Topsolid came out as best at that moment (spring 2016). It's way more complete and you can put everything in parameters and formulas. But it's not as easy to draw in as in Vectorworks. (our team exists out of architects and interior architect)

So we do believe that once the new cabinetmaker will be finished it will have more advantages. It will be way more simple to use than topsolid. We haven't seen the easiness of placing hinges, connectors or drawers in any other program. Also the way you can create custom fittings looks wonderful. And I'm a big fan of the choice for Python as program language for vectorwop 3D! The amount of updates that happens also show the efforts they put in the development. They're already at F6 for this year. You can follow their development here: https://conf.extragroup.de:8443/#all-updates

Edited by Bertf
  • 7 months later...

While I know this is an old thread I wanted to update my progress. I am now using Vectorworks and InteriorCAD 2018 running on Windows to produce files for my new CNC. It took a bit of training, but I am having great success with it.  The new cabinetmaker still has some areas that need to be completed, so I am using the Classic version.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
13 hours ago, Woodychips said:

While I know this is an old thread I wanted to update my progress. I am now using Vectorworks and InteriorCAD 2018 running on Windows to produce files for my new CNC. It took a bit of training, but I am having great success with it.  The new cabinetmaker still has some areas that need to be completed, so I am using the Classic version.

Thanks for the update, @Woodychips ! If you have the time, could you give me an idea as to which are your top three features missing from the new cabinet? What are the barriers you find with it? Thanks!

Stephan I am always happy to give feedback on InteriorCAD. The top three features I need to switch over to the new cabinetmaker are a qualified mortise and tenon  for nested based CNC, framed fronts, and face frames. I would also like to see a nested based dovetail drawer connector option. Since shifting to nested based construction cabinets sides that run to the floor and are notched have become very attractive. I have not seen this option in the new plinth tool. Grain Matching is also very important. There are other items for the wish list, but this is a good start. You might know by now I have been working with Megabits to set up their Quantum plugin for the Classic cabinetmaker. I could not wait for Extragroup to come out with a solution. It would be great if you would bring on some of the features they have developed. I am sending my DXF files to Enroute to nest and create TAP files for WinCNC. Lets continue to work on this.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all, great updates and thanks you for that. I'm about to update to 2018 VW and iCad. Still, as I said originally, using 2014. I'm not using any cnc parts of software, just need to draw a nice kitchen/cabinets/furniture etc. and get an accurate cut list. Shame i don't use more of the software, but it works. I'll still keep a 2014 backup to fall back on if needed. I do feel that if we all stopped buying the software until it was perfect, Extragroup might go out of business lol.

Let's try to keep in touch and support this awesome software, cause I ain't learning a new one at my age!

Sincerely,

John

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 5/2/2018 at 4:42 PM, Woodychips said:

Stephan I am always happy to give feedback on InteriorCAD. The top three features I need to switch over to the new cabinetmaker are a qualified mortise and tenon  for nested based CNC, framed fronts, and face frames. I would also like to see a nested based dovetail drawer connector option. Since shifting to nested based construction cabinets sides that run to the floor and are notched have become very attractive. I have not seen this option in the new plinth tool. Grain Matching is also very important. There are other items for the wish list, but this is a good start. You might know by now I have been working with Megabits to set up their Quantum plugin for the Classic cabinetmaker. I could not wait for Extragroup to come out with a solution. It would be great if you would bring on some of the features they have developed. I am sending my DXF files to Enroute to nest and create TAP files for WinCNC. Lets continue to work on this.

Grain matching and sides to floor will both be in the upcoming minor update. Framed fronts are in the works for the 2019 version. We also know about the dovetail drawers. As another US customer has so aptly put it: "Americans still love pickup trucks, guns, and solid wood dovetail drawers".

• Like 1