Custom Video Screens

Morning everyone!

I am working on projects lately that utilize Christie/Coolux Pandoras Box Media servers. I have been laying out the custom screens and can calculate the projectors needed without using the VWX tools to calculate it. The problems is whenever we try to take this programs into Vision and want to actually map video to the surfaces. Is there a way that I can convert 3D polygons or meshes into a video screen that will more easily be mapped and masked in Vision?

My current cheat around it is that I have a 3D polygon with the "mask" clipped into it in front of another 3D polygon that is the screen playing back the full content. This works for this show but we sometimes put screens in front of a cyc that can then be toned using strip lights and would like to see what it looks like with video playing and the cyc toned with it.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I can totally help with this! I just recently played around with a video demo that had 60-ish screens. Vision will replace each textured object you use the Vision screen plugin on with a screen. So I brought any texture in (it doesn't matter which kind of texture as long as it's an image texture - I use a grid or eggcrate for alignment purposes) then duplicated it for as many screens as I have, then apply each texture to an individual screen.

Now the easy part - if you want ONE video to play over a surface, just throw the texture on to the whole surface, then use the Vision Video plugin on that. It will replace the texture with Video. Note: This will be a 1:1 swap, so a repeating (tiled) texture will repeat as a Video.

Finally, as for your geometry, I personally would probably select it all and add solids, then convert to generic solids if the mesh didn't need to be too complex. 

• Like 1