Can no longer easily edit 3D symbols

It used to be that if you double-clicked on a hybrid symbol you would be taken to a window showing the symbol in way it is stored, i.e. the way it was created. This made it easy to edit since, more often than not, symbols placed in a drawing are at odd angles. In one of the "teen" versions of VW this was lost. The workaround was to double click the object and immediately go to Top/Plan (the 2D mode). In an odd animated way, you would watch the symbol swing itself around until it reached the aforementioned way it was stored. This was an extra step and required watching the little animation, but it got it in the correct plan view for editing. The problem is that if you go to any other view of this object it reverts to the view from the drawing. In other words crooked, aka, useless. What is the point of that? I realize that this is a programming mistake and that the "Top/Plan" patch was quicker than rewriting a bunch of code. It is, however, totally half-assed since it only allows proper editing in Top view, neglecting the other projections. I think VW needs to bite the bullet and fix this unless there is a way to edit symbols that I'm not aware of. Is there? As it stands now, I have to place a copy of the symbol in my drawing and edit that un-rotated version. That's pretty absurd since it used to work fine in VW12. How do others edit symbols other than double-clicking on them in the drawing? That has always seemed the most straight forward for me, but after 22 years of MC/VW I might have a number of legacy methods that are no longer correct.

MHBrown

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

If you aren't seeing the "Edit Symbol" choice dialog after you double click a hybrid symbol, most likely you have the Double Click action listed below set to always do one of the choices other than showing the dialog:

58e655a25d396_ScreenShot2017-04-06at10_49_35AM.png.7071cd8d5c620b25f2033ff8b6a25015.png

This preference can be re-enabled via Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences > Session > Reset Saved Settings and then only resetting the Always Do choices:

58e655e79ef08_ScreenShot2017-04-06at10_50_54AM.png.cd944933225cdac14894ac86cabaa830.png

If that doesn't solve it for you, or if I misunderstood, let me know.

Thanks, Jim, but I get that dialog, so don't have it set to always give me the same thing. I regularly only need to change the 2D or 3D geometry. Thanks Andy and Kevin, those are helpful tips. Andy's adds an extra step and Kevin's makes me have to stop what I'm doing and hunt in my Resource palette, but both will work. I still think it should just behave as before, but these are good tips to have handy!

MHBrown