Elevation Marker Linked to Viewport

Tom,

It's a good question but I'm not sure one is needed. For generating elevations from the model, I'd argue that the section viewport tool should always be used; just use the section marker configured as an elevation marker. This way you your elevation, you get better control of the cut plane through a terrain model (big bonus) and you get the benefit of the marker linked to a VP.

Let me know what you think.

Although an adept 3D modeler, I work on numerous projects which have elevations drawn in 2D or for some other reason not created by a section viewport, so the basic Reference Marker tool is incredibly important. Plus drafting conventions in some industries often utilize this type of marker to a greater extent (and sometimes in odd ways), so trying to utilize section lines would just complicate things. It simply needs to be what it currently is except with the added ability to link the drawing & sheet numbers to a specific viewport.

• Like 1

The elevation marker from the Create Section tool does this job nicely. And I would think that even in a 2d situation, it would work. This groundplan is all elevation markers from the Create Section tool. One has to do a little digging to make it work (I ranted about this in the wishlist). But I think that even with a 2d plan, I would still be creating blank viewports that I could then draw in whatever elevations I needed. Or with a little fudging, i could have them reference the layer that I had drawn the 2d elevations.

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

Oh nice! I failed to realize that if you change the pen style to none, the line geometry goes away (since I only want to see the marker).

Here's one question I have with the Section-Elevation Marker tool: is there no way to keep the line between the sheet number and drawing number horizontal when the object is rotated? In the picture below the line should be horizontal rather that following the 45° rotation of the arrow. The Reference Marker tool handles this with the Arrow Angle field, but I can't seem to do that with the Section-Elevation marker tool. The only workaround is to choose a marker with no line then draw it in manually, but I'm tired of workarounds.

58ebc82873b00_ScreenShot2017-04-10at10_59_51AM.png.54637dcd42d86b936e54eaf63f12e4a6.png

At the end of the day it still feels like the Reference Marker tool should just be brought up to speed with the rest, since to a new user it 'looks' to be the right tool for the job. Or deprecate it and make sure the Section-Elevation Marker tool can completely replace it.

• Like 1

I agree. 

"Legacy tools" should either be updated to work with / like other tools or be discontinued. There are too many inconsistencies in VW, due to the length of time in which the program has evolved.  While there are varying schools of thought with respect to maintaining older workflows exactly as originally designed, there is a definite need for software housecleaning to bring everything up the the same level of integration and function.   

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

The Reference Marker tool handles this with the Arrow Angle field, but I can't seem to do that with the Section-Elevation marker tool. The only workaround is to choose a marker with no line then draw it in manually, but I'm tired of workarounds.

Yes- I completely agree.

Edited by rDesign