Mac Pro Upgrade in the Works

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Excellent, I'm glad they appear to be aware of and acting on the criticism thats been laid heavy on the recent MacPro line. 

Side note: As much as I have badmouthed some of Apple's design choices recently... I would still gladly give one of a wide array of my organs if I was able to spend a day inside the Apple Product Realization Labs machine shop.

Yes, at earliest as 2018, what ever that means. Could be 2042.

Not sure what they did the last 3 years.

Or did they need that whole time to realize that not everybody was please by nMac Pro and

to realize that thermal capacity may limit future upgrades.

So if they did not wont to bring simply a cheese grater with current specced hardware but

need to release something extraordinary great, what shall I do the next 1-x years after 

an already ongoing 3-5 year speed bump delay.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I am hoping by "Modular" they mean the actual desktop tower itself, and not that they consider monitor, storage, and KBM as "modules."

However if they mean that a modular external GPU solution is in the works, that would please me as well.

^ That is exactly what I expected when a completely new Mac Pro was rumored in 2013.

I think modular does not necessarily mean to make it update able by users with standard components.

Since the invention of the last Mac Pro I'm afraid that they could create anything else than a standard

ATX Midi Tower.

Edited by zoomer
8 hours ago, Altivec said:

Yah. an expandable case like the old cheese grater design is more probable.  I just find the use of the word "Modular" a little more mysterious. When I think modules I think of little boxes that snap together like lego.  You choose the processor module you want and snap it to the separate GPU and Storage modules.  If you need PCI expansion, you buy that module and snap it on, if you need more CPU's just buy another CPU module and snap that on. etc...   Sounds fantasy like, but that's the first thing I though of when I heard "Module"

Also sounds a lot like the Facebook sponsored OpenCompute project, expect all those modules so far have been about data storage / serving not big number crunching like MacPro would be. Still good news seem to be change was inspired by getting big Single GPU instead of duals. 

Also iMac is getting a Pro config this year and it sounds like that will follow the theme of having more GPU grunt. 

7 hours ago, Matt Overton said:

Also iMac is getting a Pro config this year and it sounds like that will follow the theme of having more GPU grunt. 

The iMac is pretty but is always confused me a little.  It has the internal space limitations of a laptop with the portability limitations of the desktop.  It seems inherently stuck as consumer grade.  We always had to make the work (and they mostly did) because the Pro was too expensive and frankly misguided. I was disappointed that the Microsoft Surface desktop fell into the same trap of trying so hard to keep the box small that they compromised on the power and upgradability.