Convert LIne to Dimension Command

joelhufford

Question

I've been converting 2d lines to dimensions for some time now. I find it helps when trying to dimension something in a view other than Top/Plan as the 2d line stays on what is effectively the screen plane of the drawing and you don't run into odd snapping to obejcts in 3d space.

What happens in the video below has been happening I think ever since updating to VW2017, I've just never taken the time to document it until now. When converting a line object to a dimension, Vectorworks displays an angry dialog box saying "This command requires that one of the following objects be selected : line, circle/arc" What's more bizarre is that after hitting okay a few times, the conversion does happen...and usually the same dialog box pops up a few more times after the conversion has happened!

Anyone else ever seen this? Something I'm missing here?

Thanks! 

line_to_dimension.mov

12 answers to this question

Does this happen in all files, or just one? What happens if you create a new blank file, draw a line and run Convert to Dimension?

My best guess is that you have objects that are selected but are not visible. Maybe inside of groups or symbols.

The next time this happens, create a new vectorscript with just a single line of :      DSelectAll;

And run it. Then draw a new line and try the script again.

If this works, they you know what the problem is, but it is still a bug.

Can you post a simple file that shows the problem either here or DM it directly to me and I will take a look?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I am unable to replicate this here in a test file, could anyone experiencing the issue please post a file where this occurs? I'll test that, if it still doesn't happen on my end, there might be something in preferences we can clean up. Tested on macOS 10.12.4.

Definitely have Engineering take a look. This is really weird.

Create a new worksheet in the file Mark uploaded.  Create a database with a criteria of All Objects.  Set the Column formulas to =L  =C and =SEL  (Layer, Class and Selection State).

Select a line on either the Definition Layer or Model Layer and recalculate the worksheet.  Notice that there is a selected object on both Definition Layer and Model Layer.

Create New layers and Cut and Paste In Place the objects from Definition Layer and Model Layer. Draw a line and recalculate the worksheet. Note that there is only a single object selected.

Convert the Line to Dimension. It converts without the extra error messages.

Mark, I would at least Cut and Paste the objects in Definition and Model to new layers. If you don't have too many sheet layer/viewports to recreate, I would consider Copy/Paste in Place every layer to a new file.

It looks like a corrupt file to me. It may be a bug also, but you should not have a single object showing as on more than one layer.

The error message appears to be that the command is trying to operate on multiple instances of the single selected object. Once the first instance is converted the other objects are no longer of the correct type for the conversion.