Strange artifacts appearing.

RussU

Question

This hasn't happened before, first time.

I'm in a file and 2d flat geometry is used to template out a series of extrudes.

On this file, the 2d draws over the top of the 3d, when it shouldn't and when you zoom in you get strange black artifacts all over the place.

They're simply extruded boxes, so shouldn't be an issue.

I think it's to do with the edge render thickness in the Open GL settings. I've tried all 3 graphic settings, and nothing changes.

Here's the strange thing though, switch to a perspective view and it all sorts itself... just not in ortho views!

open gl_0001_Layer 2.jpg

open gl_0002_Layer 1.jpg

13 answers to this question

Well, Disabling edges kind of hides the effect.... you still get those odd "serations" at the edge of the geometry.

It's 2d geometry, in the first shot before, but this one is 3d. Ortho only... perspective is good.

Seems to be a "normals" problem.

It's not battling geometry either, (I.e. there's only one object, and not two co-incident objects)

Not seen this before !

Untitled-1.jpg

strange.mp4

Its almost definately a normals issue, as the set working plane in face mode isn't picking up any geometry at all.

And the snaps are all weird!

There's a video attachment to the last message you might miss.

Edit!

There's an intermittant error with zooming as well.... sometimes the mousewheel moves you left and right, sometimes zooms in and out (no keyboard modifiers pressed)

Very unpredicatable!

Edited by RussU

It seems to be a file specific thing. Restarting and loading the file makes it occur.

Copy and paste into a new document cures it, but the working plane tool doesn't pick up on faces.

There was some imported AutoCad lines on one layer, so we'll blame it on them! :)

Very odd.. I'll let you know if I can replicate it again.

Edited by RussU

I think I may have found the culprit.

Initially when I imported the AutoCad geometry, it was at a crazy co-ordinate, massively far away from the origin.

New geometry was generated and extruded at these extremities. Drill down into one of the extrudes and have a look at the x-y of the poly primitive. You'll see that it's at crazy co-ordinates.

Moving it back to near the 0,0 origin helps out a lot... an aweful lot. Working Planes return,  Screen draws nicely, performance is good.

Means I have to reset my existing geometry, but at least I think I've sussed it.

Hope this helps anyone else out.

Nope.... Still happening.

Sorted out the location issues and thought it fixed it, and it did temporarily. But it's back now... Hmphh.

Its  also affecting the near clip on perspective... I'll post a video to show.

remaining.jpg

Edited by RussU
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Try layer importing into a new blank file, and then making sure no (not even a single loci) objects exist far from the origin or from the rest of the geometry:

If that still fails, get in touch with support directly and reference this thread so they can see the history and details.