EAP - Extrude Along Path - improvements

grant_PD

Question

Probably been asked for a thousand times but :

-Let a symbol be the profile.  This doesn't seem to be so big a deal until you have to change crown mouldings all over the place. 

-Let the profile be locked to the starting point of the path.  Currently, when editing the path, you are free to move all points that are not the starting point and the EAP will play along.  But move that starting point and the profile stays in its original position in space, thus making the new EAP have a profile relative to the old one.  I can see no reason why one would not want the profile to always be at the starting point of the path. 

-Let the path be replaced without destroying the EAP.  If you try to cut/paste a new path into the EAP, it will fail.  At least when I do it it does.

-Have a new and improved wall tool whereby one can select a series of walls and select in the OIP, via check box: base, chair, picture, crown, search the resource browser for corresponding profile, and let VW make the EAP as part of the wall, in Top/Plan view (dashed for crown) and in 3d. 

• Like 3

7 answers to this question

Has anybody discovered a way to do this using 'marionette'? I've attempted to build my own script but to no avail - perhaps someone might tell me where I'm going wrong and then we can all use the script!

The script I have built (Image attached) isolates the two symbols and converts the 'PATH' to a nurbs curve. Instead of extruding however, it just seems to dump one shape on top of the other. 

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

5a2832d29b5da_ScreenShot2017-12-06at18_11_10.thumb.png.8202af7abadaa08601cc985cdfaad5ce.png

Some of the nodes you are using are not the defaults, so I don't know exactly what they are doing. I could not accomplish what you want with the stock nodes.

I don't think the Convert to NURBS will convert a Symbol into a NURBS Curve. To do it manually, you have to use the Convert to Group menu item and I don't think there is a stock Marionette equivalent.

I think you will also have to convert the symbol for the profile to a NURBS or to a Polygon to get the Path Extrude node to work.

Good luck.

• Marionette Maven

I made this script a couple of weeks ago which allows you to take a symbol from your RM by name to use as your profile.

Hopefully you can use it as a starting point. I can explain it in greater detail when I find some more time.

The Sym Contents node is not part of our shipped library.

The popup node will return two different names. You can replace this with a String input node if you aren't sure how to edit that node to reflect your symbol names.

MarionetteSymOptionsForEAP.vwx

+1 to the OP

It would be nice if the path and profile could be edited in the same working space.  After all, they're initially created in the same working space.  I think EAPs often fail because geometry that would otherwise, ultimately succeed fails while temporarily trying to get from the Profile to the Path mode, or vice versa.