Spotlight Refresh Instruments

Just curious as to why this is even necessary?  I unfortunately have to use it all the time. It just seems like there are serious enough bugs that it was easier for the developers to create a permanent workaround as opposed to solving the actual issues. 

I am am constantly having fixtures disappear in all of my drawings when changing views or simply zooming in or out. You have to take a minute to figure out if the issue is yours (I.e. Requisite Classes or Layers turned off) only to find it is once again the dreaded disappearing symbol issue.   Very frustrating. 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Running refresh instruments should not be necessary on a regular basis.

You don't state which version you are using but one of the first things I would recommend is adjusting your Navigation Graphics Settings.

If that does not solve your issues make sure you are running the most recent version and contact tech support directly.

I would agree that this shouldn't  be happening on a regular basis if at all. I am on 2017 with Service Pack 3 and this is an extremely common occurrence for me on both my desktop and my MacBook Pro. Today, almost every time I changed views I had to refresh instruments as some or even all of them disappeared. It has been an ongoing issue since probably 2015. 

If I were adjusting my navigation settings, to what would I be adjusting them?  

Thank you you for your assistance. 

I don't think anyone's mentioned yet that Refresh Instruments has more to do with data and geometry than refreshing the screen.  For example, if you edit the symbol on which the lighting device is based, Refresh Instruments will update the Lighting Device to reflect the symbol edit.  Double-clicking the Pan tool forces a screen refresh, as does zooming or panning.  

-Josh

Josh,

It is the zooming, panning and changing saved views that causes the geometry to disappear in my case. My primary use of "refresh instruments" is simply a big workaround. 

Rob, I have changed to "best compatability" due to another help post from Jim. I was originally set to "best performance". We shall see if that improves the situation. Thanks for the tip.