install question. please help

Hello,  A friend gave me student license of VW 10 with spotlight and Renderworks.  All original disc, packaging, and serial number card that was stapled to the zip lock bag containing the dongle.  He just didn't need it anymore.  I installed the software from the disc.  I entered the serial number, it said it was successful.  restarted computer (Windows 10).  plugged in the dongle.  Launched the program.  It says, "VectorWorks  requires that up to date dongle drivers be installed.  Please install the drivers then relaunch Vectorworks."   I downloaded the 2010 SP4 update package.  unzipped the updater in a folder inside the VW folder.  When I launch the update .exe, it asks for the Name, Company and Serial Number.  When I enter what I had entered on the original install, it says, "You have entered an invalid serial number.  Please re enter." 

So, the question is - Does my friend need to contact VW to release the serial number? 

Thanks,

Brian

Do you really mean VW 10 or VW 2010?  

I assume you mean VW 2010 -  which was a long time ago.  It might run on Windows 10.  Maybe.  But I'm not sure that the VW servers are still validating 1 year licenses from 7 years ago.

But if you're a student, you can get 2017 for free.  And the last 7 years have been good.

mk

A student version is only valid for 1-year after which you have to reapply to get an additional year assuming you have valid student-id such as a campus card.

Autodesk software is free to students for a 3-year period and is one of my gripes about VW only giving a single year which is nonsense given that most courses last 3-years. 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
12 hours ago, BrianNaab said:

Hello,  A friend gave me student license of VW 10 with spotlight and Renderworks.  All original disc, packaging, and serial number card that was stapled to the zip lock bag containing the dongle.  He just didn't need it anymore.  I installed the software from the disc.  I entered the serial number, it said it was successful.  restarted computer (Windows 10).  plugged in the dongle.  Launched the program.  It says, "VectorWorks  requires that up to date dongle drivers be installed.  Please install the drivers then relaunch Vectorworks."   I downloaded the 2010 SP4 update package.  unzipped the updater in a folder inside the VW folder.  When I launch the update .exe, it asks for the Name, Company and Serial Number.  When I enter what I had entered on the original install, it says, "You have entered an invalid serial number.  Please re enter." 

So, the question is - Does my friend need to contact VW to release the serial number? 

Thanks,

Brian

Privately message me the serial number you are entering, as well as what "Series" the disc says it is (Probably A, B or E) and I can take a look.

Do not post your serial number here publicly.

• Administrator
6 hours ago, barkest said:

A student version is only valid for 1-year after which you have to reapply to get an additional year assuming you have valid student-id such as a campus card.

Autodesk software is free to students for a 3-year period and is one of my gripes about VW only giving a single year which is nonsense given that most courses last 3-years. 

Vectorworks Educational licenses are free for as long as the student is enrolled in an educational program/school by providing proof of enrollment via student portal. In there, the student can  extend the current license or request the latest available version of Vectorworks every year. For additional information please visit student.myvectorworks.net and also do not forget to check our Student to Pro program after graduation:  http://www.vectorworks.net/education/student2pro

if you have additional questions about our educational programs please email us directly at AcademicTeam@vectorworks.net

32 minutes ago, JuanP said:

Vectorworks Educational licenses are free for as long as the student is enrolled in an educational program/school by providing proof of enrollment via student portal. In there, the student can  extend the current license or request the latest available version of Vectorworks every year.

Hi Juan

I teach VW and for the last 5-years I get around 30 to 50 students to download VW each September/October. I work at the 'sharp end' in Education and I can say that my experience each year is that the students complain saying 'why do we have to renew every year when you don't have to with Revit/Autocad' So whilst you are correct you should be aware that it hacks students off and they directly compare you to other software providers that we have.

<Edit> the student download is for their own use outside of class as we have 70+ Edu license on site

Edited by barkest
  • Administrator
14 minutes ago, barkest said:

I work at the 'sharp end' in Education and I can say that my experience each year is that the students complain saying 'why do we have to renew every year when you don't have to with Revit/Autocad' So whilst you are correct you should be aware that it hacks students off and they directly compare you to other software providers that we have.

This is great feedback, I will pass this information to our educational team. 

thanks.