Is there way to redefine a Saved View without screwing up previously set Class/Layer settings?

Cory Pattak

Question

new to the board...forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong thread. This Saved View Issues has plagued me for years. I don't think there is a solution but it hasn't stopped me from asking anyone who will listen.

I have lots of Saved Views pre-made in my temp file. (1. Plan, 2. Section 3. FOH 4. Sidelight, etc.) In those views...I have the screen location and zoom fairly close to probably how I need it and have pre-set class and layers visabilities based on the view. With each new file, as the drawing comes together...I update elements of those saves views as the drawing requires. The problem is that I have many saved views where some of the layers/classes are set to "Ignore" (the red circle with a slash) Ignore" is not an actual state, a class can't sit in an "Ignore" state, it simply means "leave this alone when recalling the view."

Now imagine you turn some of those ignored layers/classes on or off, as if you were in the middle of your workflow, and adjust the zoom/pan, etc. and attempt to "Redefine" the Saved View.
You now have a problem. If you uncheck Layer Visibility and/or Class Visibility those parameters will now be completely removed from the Saved View (Active class, etc. becomes greyed out in the visibility settings.) If you leave them checked, the current Class/Layer setting (either on/off/grey) will OVERWRITE any class/layers you had set to be ignored. There is in fact no way to update the Saved View without breaking classes/layers that were set to ignore.

In my opinion, unchecking a parameter in the "Redefine" window should not REMOVE those settings from the Saved View but simply leave them untouched in this current action. My terrible workaround is that I keep a separate list of how I like the visibility settings for layers and classes in various saved views. (because it's too many to remember.) Any time I Redefine a View (mainly to update the zoom/pan) I then I have to go into visibility settings and re-set the settings to how I want them based on my list. It is very annoying and tedious.

Does anyone follow what I'm describing and does anyone have a workaround? help!

thanks.

Cory

7 answers to this question

14 hours ago, mike m oz said:

It sounds like you only want these amended views on a temporary basis.  If so create a new Saved View for that current state.  Then delete it once it is no longer required.

Hey Mike...naw these are not just temporary. This are permanent Saved Views that are used in every one of my drawings. That's why they are pre-built with certain class and layer visibility settings. 

I hadn't even noticed this "ignore" option in the settings until I was fiddling around trying to understand your problem (although I think it might be better to call it "don't save" instead of "ignore" as that's what the VW dialogue box calls it).

So thanks for that, could be useful to use in the future!

However, maybe not so useful after all as I can now see what the problem is.

I agree it should be as you describe. I can't see a good workaround.

"Saved views" need improvements generally. The more I work in 3D the more I rely on them.

On 3/28/2017 at 0:50 PM, line-weight said:

I hadn't even noticed this "ignore" option in the settings until I was fiddling around trying to understand your problem (although I think it might be better to call it "don't save" instead of "ignore" as that's what the VW dialogue box calls it).

So thanks for that, could be useful to use in the future!

However, maybe not so useful after all as I can now see what the problem is.

I agree it should be as you describe. I can't see a good workaround.

"Saved views" need improvements generally. The more I work in 3D the more I rely on them.

well at least I don't feel so crazy now that you also acknowledge the issue. Still no good solution though. Hopefully someday.

1 hour ago, Cory Pattak said:

well at least I don't feel so crazy now that you also acknowledge the issue. Still no good solution though. Hopefully someday.

Actually this thread got me thinking a bit about how I use saved views.

They kind of do two things

1) save a "point of view" eg.

- perspective from inside a room

- birdseye view

- top/plan view for editing

2) save a "set of visibilities" eg.

- show all elements

- show primary structure only

- show second floor only

- show with the roof off

Each of my saved views tend to save a combination of each: for example,

- perspective inside a room with all elements visible

- birdseye view with roof off

- second floor only in top/plan view

This means that I need to have the same number of saved views as number of "point of view" / "set of visibilities" combinations I want.

Perhaps it would be more efficient to have a set of saved views that are "point of view" only (with visibilities unticked) and another set that are "set of visibilities" only (with view orientation etc unticked).

So to get my "birdseye with roof off" I'd first select my "birdseye" saved view and then my "roof off" saved view.

This might make adding new viewpoints, or redefining existing ones easier because I wouldn't have to worry about the visibility settings - they would be dealt with separately. Maybe this approach could solve your problem too?

Finally: this makes me wonder, does anyone actually use those dropdowns in the top right, the ones which give you front view/side view etc and orthogonal/perspective etc? They seem a hangover from old ways of doing things. I'd much rather that I could use these dropdowns to access my project-specific custom views aka "point of view" saved views.

13 hours ago, line-weight said:

Perhaps it would be more efficient to have a set of saved views that are "point of view" only (with visibilities unticked) and another set that are "set of visibilities" only (with view orientation etc unticked).

I think you can do that.

Deactivate Visibilities in the Saved Views (for Camera/View Control) and deactivate the view stuff in the other

Saved Views (for Visibility Control).

Name them accordingly to sort them in the List.

11 minutes ago, zoomer said:

I think you can do that.

Deactivate Visibilities in the Saved Views (for Camera/View Control) and deactivate the view stuff in the other

Saved Views (for Visibility Control).

Name them accordingly to sort them in the List.

Yes, that's what I was meaning.

Then we just need sub-menus in the saved views dropdown as per my wishlist request from a while ago:

If anyone feels like voting it up!