BimX for Vectorworks?

jnr

So I happened to look at BimX, the new navigation app for ArchiCad. It looks like a game changer as far as in the field communication goes as well as for client education. Does the mothership have plans to port this to Vectorworks? The virtual reality capability of 2017 is kindergarten compared to BimX.

What can I tell my potential client whom would rather stay in a Vectorworks environment that they should not switch to ArchiCad?

-J

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

One terminology/process thing to clarify though I know it wasn't really the main point of your post: The Nemetschek Group does not dictate specific design choices for Vectorworks and we do not port features from one member application to the other. (As far as I know the code bases are completely incompatible.)

To answer your more intended question: Yes, our developers have an eye towards the capabilities and benefits of BIMX and plan to offer strong competition.

• Like 1

Excellent news re BimX. I would hate to get left behind :)...  And thanks for the heads up re corporate structure. I had just figured like most corporations, that it would be a top down market strategy, but clearly good to hear that its not. 

-J

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...
On 3/27/2017 at 5:25 PM, Jim Wilson said:

One terminology/process thing to clarify though I know it wasn't really the main point of your post: The Nemetschek Group does not dictate specific design choices for Vectorworks and we do not port features from one member application to the other. (As far as I know the code bases are completely incompatible.)

To answer your more intended question: Yes, our developers have an eye towards the capabilities and benefits of BIMX and plan to offer strong competition.

It´s been a year and half since this reply, any news on ¨BIMX strong competition¨? 

• Like 1

Hello Diego-Resuelvectorworks:

The Vectorworks portable viewer technologies you should look at are Web Views (File->Export Web View command in VW, now includes Clip Cube and shadows as well as immersive HMD VR support using WebVR on Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, Google Cardboard, and Google Daydream), Vectorworks Nomad (PDF and 3D model viewing on iOS and Android, and Augmented Reality viewing on iOS devices), and Renderworks Panoramas (File-Export Panorama, can be rendered using Vectorworks Cloud Services to free up your machine), as well as PDF (Export PDF and Publish features) and 3D PDF (Export 3D PDF).

• Like 1
On 10/19/2018 at 6:51 PM, Dave Donley said:

Hello Diego-Resuelvectorworks:

The Vectorworks portable viewer technologies you should look at are Web Views (File->Export Web View command in VW, now includes Clip Cube and shadows as well as immersive HMD VR support using WebVR on Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, Google Cardboard, and Google Daydream), Vectorworks Nomad (PDF and 3D model viewing on iOS and Android, and Augmented Reality viewing on iOS devices), and Renderworks Panoramas (File-Export Panorama, can be rendered using Vectorworks Cloud Services to free up your machine), as well as PDF (Export PDF and Publish features) and 3D PDF (Export 3D PDF).

Greetings all of these features are somehow old or inadequate with today needs, Yes all of the mentioned features and tools are welcome additions but are not cutting it, Please try to understand the user position on this topic, BIMx is crushing it! you can show your blueprint and technical drawings not to mention construction details to you clients but even more important to the contractor, it has great animations and easy to understand connection between 2D and 3D,  any changes in the original file it's updated automatically and yes VR is important but the render quality is not up to unreal engine's for example, so event though you are investing in it I don't see how you are gonna compete whit that kind of visual output, might be more important to generate an ease / straight forward workflow from vectorworks to unreal as other companies are way ahead, please reconsider the path you are taking with nomad, I am passionate about vectorworks I still believe it's a great architect's tool and I hate to see it falling behind to other options, please a complete MEP Modeller, BIMx "strong competition" (your words, not mine) and a better (more versatile) wall tool should be on the top of your list, it's a humble opinion, hope you'll take it under consideration, thank you for the reply. 

Edited by arqteran
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Greetings, BIMx release date was June 2011, PVA Jim reply "BIMx strong competition"  was on march 2017, we are now on vectorworks 2020; please is there any news on a BIMx counterpart from vectorworks? or is it better to forget about the subject and focus on other features; with the release of the iPad Pro I believe there is so much potencial to really show vectorworks models in a very intuitive and practical way, hope to see something on par with the vectorworks desktop version quality in the next months or at least a definitive answer about the subject and stop waiting on something that's never going to happen.

Not to mention "Revit live" which looks promising.

thank you for your time.

Edited by arqteran
  • Like 3
  • 3 years later...

Hello @Henry Finch Wow three years later, there has been continuous work done to mobile and web solutions in this area.  Last year at this time the big news was the web and mobile 3D viewer in browser and in Nomad was re-engineered to use Unity and we have seen lots of benefits and improvements following that re-engineering.  2023.0 has better rendering visuals.  Parallel developments in cloud presentations, just released in Vectorworks 2023 Service Pack 3 allow you much more flexibility in creating compelling web-based multimedia presentations.  The iOS PDF viewer is being upgraded as we speak.  More integrated storage like Google Drive and iOS Files app.

The latest release page has some of these details:

https://www.vectorworks.net/en-US/2023

The public roadmap gives you some idea of what is being worked on in Vectorworks and cloud services:

https://www.vectorworks.net/en-US/public-roadmap

This roadmap link shows when each public roadmap item was completed:

https://www.vectorworks.net/en-US/public-roadmap/updates

Vectorworks 2022 SP3 viewer upgrades:

https://youtu.be/XsgM48A7nFM

• Like 1