Project Sharing - Crash Upon Project File Creation

Tom Klaber

Question

I am trying to get a new project file set up - and I am getting an instant crash when I press finish on the the project file wizard.  I have tried rebooting, and turning blank files into project files in case it was object related - but it is not .  

Is this happening to anybody else??

@JimW Is this a known issue?

Is there a workaround?

18 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Does this happen on both Mac and Windows for you? Unable to replicate on Win10 and macOS 10.12.3 here. I see two reports of similar crashing in the tracker, one from sp3 and one from sp2 (Both were on Mac), but neither one was replicable by engineering.

Thanks, Jim.

I am on Windows 10.  I no longer have access to a MacOS device.  (I will update my signature).

I am going to keep experimenting; I will let you know if I find anything.

Is there any way you could send me a project file to see if opening one is an issue?  If not - I can have my colleague try to create the file as a workaround while we work to figure out the problem.  

In that case, I suggest following first the backup instructions here, then resetting your preference folder only:

DON'T restore the backup, then try opening the test proj file and then converting your own file into a project and let me know what happens.

14 minutes ago, zoomer said:

Are you still on VW 2016 like your signature tells ?

Because meanwhile, as I read in 2017 SP3 change log, that Project Sharing got such massive extra love.

No - thanks zoomer - just updated the signature.

@JimW- Still got the crash - though a couple of the files that I was told to delete were not there.

I am going to go to a full uninstall / reinstall.

Now I am scared.

Still getting the crash after full uninstall / reinstall.

Could it be a software conflict?

Could it be a hardware conflict??  

Crashplan, Avast, and google drive sync are the only apps I have running.  Any known conflict with those?

Edited by Tom Klaber

Try this next, it's rare but can sometimes affect Project Sharing and some of the other more advance Vectorworks features:

Under Programs and Features (you can get to this by right clicking on the Start button) scroll down and look for all the various "Microsoft Visual C++" items. Uninstall every single one.

Reboot your machine.

Download and install all of the items listed here for 64bit versions of Windows:

Checking with the support team now to see if they've come across this yet, I can't find much evidence of it in the bug tracker.

UPDATE:

Creating a new Windows account seemed to correct the issue. 

A pain - but manageable.  I am now adding services back into my account - so far it's holding.  I am scared we will run back into the problem once everything is reinstalled - but it seems its definitely a software conflict.  My guess it's buried is a chrome plugin or something.  

Edited by Tom Klaber