Web View - Documentation

I have a small stand alone exhibit piece that I've been experimenting with in Web View. A couple of questions have come up and I was unable to find the answers in the current documentation or the linked video.

1. how is the Web View background chosen? Or is there only the default sky background? I would love the equivalent to a dark void as a background even if the lighting is taken from something else. I suspect many of us here would use it if it was available as its more representative of a museum gallery or theatre when designing elements that float within an architectural space. Often we don't model the surrounding space. In this instance I had modelled a quick round wall surround and a floor surface but the round wall just gets in the way in web view.
  2. is there the ability to have an infinite floor? Its very odd to have the elements floating in space. Its also odd to have a floor that ends, which I have in my case since I only modelled what was needed for rendering.
  3. is there a way to set a radial boundary to the space? It would be great to set the maximum dolly out from the origin.

So far I think this is a very cool feature :) I would love to be able to leverage it more for theatre/exhibit/sculpture projects (eg. non architectural).

Kevin 

Guest AndrewG

@Kevin McAllisterThanks for asking these questions.

1. In the current Web View, the background is chosen based on what current Renderworks background you have in your model. If you do not have a Renderworks background in your model, there is a default skybox.

2. Not exactly sure what you mean by an infinite floor, but Web View will render what is currently within the scene. I don't believe Web View has such a capability at the moment.

3. The radial boundary space should be limited. This is probably an experience bug that will be addressed in the future.

4. At the moment, the center of orbit is initially 0,0,0 for every model, but can be changed by panning the scene. This is also a problem which will be addressed in a future release.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks!

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your reply. Its a fun feature to play with. A couple more questions/thoughts -

11 hours ago, AndrewG said:

@Kevin McAllisterThanks for asking these questions.

1. In the current Web View, the background is chosen based on what current Renderworks background you have in your model. If you do not have a Renderworks background in your model, there is a default skybox.

After some experimenting I think it only supports Renderworks backgrounds that are built using the Panoramic Image or Physical Sky settings. Can you confirm this is true?

2. Not exactly sure what you mean by an infinite floor, but Web View will render what is currently within the scene. I don't believe Web View has such a capability at the moment.

An infinite floor is essentially what appears to be a ground plane that extends to infinity. There was recently a wish list item for this. Cinema 4D has this feature. Here's an example with tiles.

58db0420971e2_InfiniteFloor.jpg.9937c704b7738388ddca3ad4457f7a2e.jpg

3. The radial boundary space should be limited. This is probably an experience bug that will be addressed in the future.

4. At the moment, the center of orbit is initially 0,0,0 for every model, but can be changed by panning the scene. This is also a problem which will be addressed in a future release.

There's definitely inconsistency as to where the initial centre of orbit is. It works as expected when I'm in top/plan or any non-perspective view. If I export in a perspective view, the centre of orbit is not at centre. This may be a bug.

One other issue I found is with the preview feature. As documented, VW creates a local folder with the preview files in it but when you cancel the export or even carry through with the export, it doesn't delete this folder. If you're exporting from different files, you end up with multiple local preview folders. Also these folders on a Mac are in Library>Application Support>Vectorworks>2017 not in the application folder as listed in the VW Help.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Kevin

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
11 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

Also these folders on a Mac are in Library>Application Support>Vectorworks>2017 not in the application folder as listed in the VW Help.

When I reset my Vectorworks preferences, the location I am taken to by default is my Macs User folder for my account, rather than Application Support, it SHOULD place the support files in the location you select during export however, which still means the documentation is incorrect I think. Reporting it now.

2 hours ago, JimW said:

When I reset my Vectorworks preferences, the location I am taken to by default is my Macs User folder for my account, rather than Application Support, it SHOULD place the support files in the location you select during export however, which still means the documentation is incorrect I think. Reporting it now.

Jim,

To confirm, this is specifically about where the files from Export Web View are placed when I hit the Preview button in the export dialog. If I continue through with the Export I get to choose the path as usual. Ultimately I end up with the same files in two places - my chosen path and the preview path.

58dbd398efb8d_ScreenShot2017-03-29at8_18_45AM.png.6b57daebb08b1d7d70fb08a45c7680f3.png

Also VW doesn't delete the preview files which I would have expected. Perhaps its not possible while the preview is open in the browser but maybe it should always write the preview to a folder of the same name (eg. Preview). That way next time it writes a preview its written over the old one so they don't keep collecting.

Thanks!

Kevin

Edited by Kevin McAllister
Guest AndrewG

@Kevin McAllisterThe point of the Preview button is to view what the web view would look like without having to choose a location. This is considered a temp location for all files that are written here. It would write out correctly if you chose to export to the specified folder. Now looking at it, it probably should just always write this to another folder. We hope to address this in the future. 

Thanks for the feedback!

Andrew