Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Use of characters in naming nodes

AlanW

Hi I had a PM regarding why a network was giving an error and it turned out that the name of a wrapper had the "/" character as part of the name. My answer was as follows and I wondered if this is correct assumption? If not I would love some more elaboration please.

"Hi, There was not one real comprehensive tutorial/help source  for Marionette yet, which I am sure will change over time. It seems that it was put out there with a programmer mentality in mind. (This is not to be derogatory in any way) but most of the users do not have that mindset (in my opinion). So for me its been a steep learning curve with Marissa and Sarah from VW and DomC and Patrick providing most of the understanding and direction along the way (totally indebted to them).

My explanation as the why you cant use these character this way follow and gratefully stand corrected.

With the the use of certain characters as a naming convention I think that Marionette is a python program and nodes are just blocks of code and characters like /-% etc are operators and cannot be used within a network except to perform a task. (I stand corrected). "

• Like 2

I think it goes a bit like this:

Marionette, is built on the python language. Meaning all syntax for writing marionette needs to adhere to python syntax(code structure/rules).

With regards to the 'back-slash' issue, thats to do with the way python handles strings. read more here : https://docs.python.org/2.0/ref/strings.html

As to whether Marionette was built with a programmer mentality in mind is up to debate. As the actual description states that it is a visual-scripting-language. Which to me sounds that, if you're going to embark on using it, you'll need to think in terms of building computer code, which in my opinion is very similar to physical building construction methods, the transition could  be relatively easy.

On a side note Alan, you're probably the best go-to-guy for all things Marionette! Keep on keeping on!

HTH

Tui

Edited by twk
  • Like 1