Perforated Steel Plate

ThreeDot

I applied an image mask to a box so that I can represent a perforated steel plate. The PNG image has an alpha channel, and it renders correctly. However, when applied to a solid box, the texture maps to the top, bottom, and edges and the result look like a perforated hollow box rather than a perforated plate. Is there a better way to represent a perforated metal plate?

Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 6.16.22 PM.png

10 hours ago, ThreeDot said:

the result look like a perforated hollow box rather than a perforated plate.

That is normal.

Rendering will only show Faces, not Volumes.

But it doesn't make sense to model such complicated Geometry by boolean operations either.

It depends on how important that plate is and how you will show it.

So if not that important or seen from far away, I would go for a 3D Polygon Rectangle instead of

a volume, to not have irritating effects with hollow appearance.

On the other hand, your version with a volume gives that bit of an extra feel that it is more

transparent when looked perpendicular to it, opposed to looking from an angle, which I like.

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

wait, wait, here is another idea. give this one a try.

I had a similar case and solved it by only creating a 3d flat surface, (0 extrude) and apply a texture. Basically you are only using a single surface. Now, your texture, since it has a notorious black and white contrast just give it a displacement mapping, the desired thickness. Use a custom rendering setting and check the texture mapping box.

You will need 2 separate maps, one for the displacement and another one for stencil/transparency.

The latter needs to have a little smaller "holes".

You can do this in Photoshop by shrinking or growing the selection for 1 Pixel. And the map needs

a certain minimal resoulution and quality.

For me too tedious. I would just use one 3D Poly for my rendering purposes. Maybe a second Polygon

beneath for volume depth. Or I would model it when the plate is the main actor.

Edited by zoomer

I once had to render such ceiling grid panels :

https://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lichtgitter.de%2Fimages%2Freferenzen%2Fgalerie_architektour%2F_fassaden%2FReferenzen_2012%2FLIC-4625-RGB-lowres.jpg%3Fwidth%3D575%26hash%3Dc6fde9b198997dd5ad757131ae1302a1&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lichtgitter.de%2Fde%2Fanwendungen%2Fdeckenverkleidungen%2F&docid=VacXCV-do9C_4M&tbnid=YS5HPnubG2ZH7M%3A&vet=10ahUKEwivh_Oulv_SAhWBuRQKHcCuCbEQMwghKAAwAA..i&w=575&h=384&client=safari&bih=1108&biw=1145&q=gitterdecke&ved=0ahUKEwivh_Oulv_SAhWBuRQKHcCuCbEQMwghKAAwAA&iact=mrc&uact=8#h=384&imgrc=YS5HPnubG2ZH7M:&vet=10ahUKEwivh_Oulv_SAhWBuRQKHcCuCbEQMwghKAAwAA..i&w=575

After some map attempts I tried also displacement mapping.

That was cool because with the right Map, you can really create such a geometry.

It just needed highest displacement settings, otherwise it looked a bit used, worn or destroyed :)

Of course I couldn't afford the Render Time.

At the end I used just a flat plane, no bump, displacement or transparency at all,

but painted an artificial texture map for one tile - and the customers liked it ;)