PDF / TIFF Image invert or transparency

Guest Blars

Guest Blars

Is it possible to have a PDF insert to match my background?  I am drawing with a black background and want a white background PDF or TIFF to be inserted with a black background and lines to be white or colored by the class that they are inserted on.  Please tell me this is possible.  Thanks.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Yep, as of 2017 you can directly work with and control Alpha channels in images. I think it was possible in some cases in 2016 and prior but it wasn't officially supported. When you import the image, pmake sure to select PNG and have Import Alpha Channel checked:

58d571b18c945_ScreenShot2017-03-24at3_19_31PM.png.07b6f822f3e5fd814c9aba40b737d3b1.png

Then the image will have a fill of None and function like the example on the left, or you can set the fill to solid and give it a color like the example on the right

58d571af2e66a_ScreenShot2017-03-24at3_19_54PM.png.caa513fe10aa9ed6abef0af652b915c5.png

Fairly confident it will work with PDFs that have an alpha channel as well, but worse case you can convert the PDF to an image and then import.

Guest Blars

Thank you.  I'm not on 2017 yet but have it installed.  We're trying to adapt our standards to the new 2017 features before rolling it out officially.  How would this be done in 2016?

If you import the image and set it's fill to none, it MIGHT then show a transparent alpha channel, but I believe its related to the type of image, and not just PNG or TIFF but the color depth used

to save it. It was not reliable or officially a feature if I recall correctly.

Guest Blars

OK.  thank you. I'll give it a try.  On another note, is it possible to make the image "field" unable to be selected?  So i can click within the image and not have VW think i want to select the image?  I already have it "locked" but that doesnt seem to work when trying to work over the image.  Essentially, I want the image to function as if it isnt there and only have the image Border be selectable to change properties/lock/unlock if i need to.  Thanks!

Youd most likely have to place it on it's own layer, and then set Layer Options to Show/Snap Others and then activate a layer with objects so that the image isnt selectable. I'm not sure of a way to do it without layer or class options.