Trim Walls

Hi,

I have some walls that extend beyond a 'pod' skin (generic solid)  that has been created and I would like to trim the wall so it is the same shape as the pod curve. Unfortunately the pod is in two sections so Fit Walls to Objects does not work for me.

Any suggestions on how to do this?

thank youtrim walls.vwx

Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 11.10.11.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 11.10.04.png

Edited by barkest

Hi, Not sure if I got this right so you have 2 design layer so i used the magic wand and selected all the walls then went AEC fit to object and selected the pod and they all reshaped except the bits you had extruding outside the pod.

Capture.JPG

Edited by Alan Woodwell
  • 5 months later...

I think I have an extention to this question. I have a declining roof that I'm designing however, when I use fit roof to object and select the side of the wall that fits to the roof face, I'm left with an odd situation. I have one of two options, either select the interior part of the wall to meet the roof, meaning the exterior part of the wall and the don't meet or have the exterior part of the wall meet the roof but then have the interior part of the wall extends out the top of the roof.

What I have done is is to have the exterior part of the wall and tried to trim away the exess. I use the subtract solids tool using the roof as the solid to subtract from the over extended wall and delete anything above that so the wall and the roof meet cleanly. However, the remaining portion of the wall that is now correct, loses the wall property.

I assume there a better way to fit a wall to an angled roof accurately without loosing perperties but I'm looking for help on how to find this out.

Any advice would be great, if you need images for a better idea, please let me know.

Thank you for the advice however, I think I probably haven't explained myself properly I may not understand your answer properly. If I were to use your picture as an example, it looks like the wall you have provided a picture of is getting taller along the length of the wall. What I require is a change in height across the width of the wall. I  have attached a picture for clarity ( I hope the picture quality isn't terrible), what I'm looking for is essentially a change in height between the blue and red lines, the blue line needs to be at a height of approxiamtely 2.5m where as the red line needs to be at 2.3 meters.

I couldn't achieve this by double clicking the wall as it gives you control points at the middle of the wall. Is there any way to get more control points on a wall so I can alter it from it's corners?

example.jpg

Hi @NJOwhen you've double clicked on your wall you will notice towards the upper left of your screen that a few options have appeared.   The first option simply allows you to move the nodes.  The wall ends can only ever be moved in the Z direction.  Any nodes in the middle can be moved any where within the bounds of the wall.  You'll notice a plus and minus sign.  By pressing the plus sign you can now (for instance) grab an end node and create a new node.  The minus option will remove nodes.  You can never remove the standard 3 nodes (top or bottom) in a wall.  See the pics attached.  As long as the wall peaks option is clicked on for either or both the top and bottom of wall you can manipulate the nodes.

ScreenHunter_26 Sep. 26 08.12.jpg

ScreenHunter_27 Sep. 26 08.13.jpg

For clarification, the wall I've illustrated is a component wall and the wall peak option is enabled for only some of the components.

Edited by Markvl

Thank you for your response Markvl, however I'm looking to create a slope across the width of the wall. I can achieve this with the taper face tool however, the wall stops being a wall and becomes a generic solid after I perform this action.

The second image below shows what I want to achieve in terms of angles. The two images are unintentionally from slightly different angles but hopefully you can see that the first image is just a straight wall following right angles, but the second has a tapered top edge so that it would theoretically meet a sloping roof exactly. Does anyone know a way of achieving the same result without the wall becoming a generic solid (keeping it as a wall)?

angle 01.jpg

angle 02.jpg

Ya unfortunately there is no way to achieve what you want and maintain the parametric properties of any given wall.  Not anyways with the wall alone.  You have to look at the techniques used at the beginning of this post.  You need another object with which to "Fit to Object" once you've done that you can delete the second object.  Bit of a work around but the only option I see.

Edited by Markvl
On 27/09/2017 at 11:27 PM, NJO said:

I'm looking to create a slope across the width of the wall. I can achieve this with the taper face tool however, the wall stops being a wall and becomes a generic solid after I perform this action.

There is the wall recess command. As it stands, its not the 'sharpest tool in the box', but like a lot of VW options it can be used for a work-around. 

Choose your wall and create a suitably shaped 3D solid to overlap the top - the main thing (for you) will be to make sure the underside surface is at your required angle. Also make sure it's longer than (overhangs) the section of wall you want to modify (assuming you want to modify the whole of the wall length).

59cf91e945801_ScreenShot2017-09-30at13_35_51.png.d3e93b5b1f20bd3ac05c1b8517e1fa71.png

You are now here..

59cf91ecc7f29_ScreenShot2017-09-30at13_36_08.png.07f8bb83abf5c3425f204ed8faa06c07.png

Now create your 'recessed wall feature' by selecting both and choosing AEC>Create Wall Recess....

59cf938f33939_ScreenShot2017-09-30at13_40_28.png.f34e98fe70c35fc3583723c8ab8ba881.png

Its nearly there! But (isn't there always a 'but')...

Unfortunately the VW boffins have created the outcome for an endcap so even though the solid is longer than the wall it goes to its default position. Depending on the direction you have drawn the wall it will be the endpoint.

I'm not sure why thats required as any attached (continuation) wall would have its own endcap at that junction (maybe @JimWcould comment/investigate?), and try as I might I can't see a work around for it. Maybe others can take this solution and move-on further - all I know is as soon as you start to try and clip that toenail off the wall it returns to generic solids - exactly what you don't want.

Certainly one thing you could do is start with wall height and underside of the 3d solid at the same position for a cleaner result. This would reduce the overall height of the 'toenail' - but obviously still leaves with a small portion of endcap

You will have to disguise that! Until someone improves this tool.

Hope this helps.

---------------------------------------------------

@JimWCould the endcap be taken out of the result of using this process on walls? As stated above, I'm not sure of its requirement.

If it were able to be dropped, it would provide a nice way of forming certain features in walls.

Does it need 'wishing'?

Or is someone going to say - this is how you should have done it...

Edited by Gadzooks
Spellong mistook