Guide - Site Design

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

We have a number of Getting Started Guides for some of the major industries we cater to. To increase their visibility, I will pin each current one to its own subforum and keep the links updated yearly.

These guides are designed to provide you with a strong base as you learn to use Vectorworks to design, communicate, and document the ideas that you are passionate about. In this guide, we will walk you through the creation of a planting plan, from the initial document set up and placing plants, to creating reports and presenting the finalized plan. You will be introduced to many of the Landmark design tools, by creating existing buildings, hardscapes, and planting beds.

http://www.vectorworks.net/training/2018/getting-started-guides/site-design

site-design-splash.png

• Like 2
  • PVA - Admin changed the title to Guide - Site Design
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/28/2020 at 7:34 PM, Art V said:

Not just that, but adding subtitling would be nice too for those who have difficulty understanding the voice or following the speed of talking.

Although its not subtitles, you can adjust the playback speed in the options bar at the bottom of the player.

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2021 at 3:43 PM, Poot said:

Although its not subtitles, you can adjust the playback speed in the options bar at the bottom of the player.

This may work for those with good hearing, I know people with (sometimes much) less than good hearing who are simply not able to fully follow what is being said in some (to put it mildly) webinars etc. because the sound quality is not optimal, too loud (or distracting) background music that interferes, or people are speaking not really clear, way too fast or have a heavy accent that is difficult to understand for non-native speakers. Even slowing down speed is not going to help in those cases.

This is not specific to only VW video recordings though but applies in general to webinars/video recordings. If I would get 10 USD (or better... 10 euro) for each webinar/recording I have watched (and will be watching) with at least one of the aforementioned or other clarity issues then I might be able to retire a few years early.

• 1 year later...

Hello, thank you for this thread and link. I wondered, is there a guide that follows on from Landmark essentials that looks specifically at working with slopes and terrain? I think I have a good general, if basic, grasp of drawing layouts, planting and turning that into 3D. However, moving a layout onto an imported 3D survey is where I need help. I'm muddling my way through with some help, but can't find a University video or guide on this particular next step.

• Like 2
  • 4 months later...

Hello

Can we get some answers to the questions here? Does anyone track these?

I'm also looking for training help to move our office from 2d site design to 3d with Vectorworks. 

Are there training videos that specifically teach the workflow flow from Concept Design, utilizing Survey to begin building a design based on a Concept Design.

I know there a videos on the University, but I haven't found one that specifically follows the work flow using a survey and concept plan built off the survey and following a design to completion.

Thank you. 

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...
On 8/25/2023 at 3:43 PM, Daniel OKane said:

Hello

Can we get some answers to the questions here? Does anyone track these?

I'm also looking for training help to move our office from 2d site design to 3d with Vectorworks. 

Are there training videos that specifically teach the workflow flow from Concept Design, utilizing Survey to begin building a design based on a Concept Design.

I know there a videos on the University, but I haven't found one that specifically follows the work flow using a survey and concept plan built off the survey and following a design to completion.

Thank you. 

I recommend taking the Landmark professional certification course.  That course goes over importing topographic surveys & existing tree surveys. You then learn how to use most of the landmark tools on a large mixed use site (has commercial & residential properties.) It goes more in depth than the basic landmark essentials class and the only thing it doesn’t cover is viewports/sheet layers for producing design documents.  It’s very helpful for understanding how many of the tools interact with the site model.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Cody Worthman said:

I recommend taking the Landmark professional certification course.  That course goes over importing topographic surveys & existing tree surveys. You then learn how to use most of the landmark tools on a large mixed use site (has commercial & residential properties.) It goes more in depth than the basic landmark essentials class and the only thing it doesn’t cover is viewports/sheet layers for producing design documents.  It’s very helpful for understanding how many of the tools interact with the site model.

I agree as well, as the certifications are very comprehensive. Together withthe universtiy, you can also filter your search for 'classes' which cover what you are specifically looking for (and take anywhere from 1-2 hours). The 'essentials' seminars are good for people who are starting completely from scratch.

Otherwise, you also have those like Jonathan Pickup who have starting courses and training available as well.