Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links Read more... ×
ericjhberg

Duplicate Object Along 3D Poly Node

I'm trying to figure out how to duplicate on object (symbol) along a 3D polygon with a marionette node. The command Edit>Duplicate Along Path works great but not in a custom marionette script. Any ideas?

The way I would do this is to used a Divide Curve node which is in the NURBS folder. This will give you a series of 3D points, then you duplicate your object and move those duplicates to the points. This will give you a path array based on number of divisions of the path, but if you want to do it by distance, you would have to do some math where you figure out the length of the curve/3D poly, then get your number of divisions that way.

Thanks so much Alan, I was able to make it work as far as duplicating along the path and use a math turn around to divide the path evenly per a defined spacing.

The next problem is orientation. The duplicate along path command allows you to 1) center objects on path, 2) keep them tangent to path and retain the original orientation. How would I go above setting rotation angles tangent to the created points along a NURBS curve in this example?

Also, is there a 3D symbol node that accounts for Z values in placement? The basic library version only factors 2D points.

@ericjhbergHi,

Have a look at this post Road the items are at right angles to the curve or you can set them as desired. HTH

In the lights original post yo can alter the orientation of al the lights. Could set up principle for  other using separate rotate nodes. Post a pic of what you are after.

Edited by Alan Woodwell